Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Hi! I'm RandyOl from WI in the U.S.A --- and

Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Smile Hi! I'm RandyOl from WI in the U.S.A --- and

I joined this group to learn as much as I can to help me retouch the many old photographs of family members I have. My father is 86 this month, and he loves researching the genealogy of our family. I would love to bring these photos back to some shape where they could be framed and enjoyed. Most of the photographs from the late 1800's and early 1900's are in really poor condition. I've just upgraded Photoshop to CS4, and I've just started to learn it all over again because of health reason's, etc. I never did learn channels, masks, and layers; so, I really only knew the elementary adjustments and tools. I've got CS4 on a new 64 bit computer system that I had built for me after I bought all the parts. I'm retired, and CS4 is my mental exercise. I wish there were tutorials or books where the tools needed for photo retouching were all used and explained in detail. Since I have repetitive use syndrome affecting the hands, I must use as many short cut methods and "smarts" to figure the easiest way to do the best artistic method of clean-up of these messed up (nearly ghosts) images of passed on relatives. I love computers. This last computer was too much for me to build; I did build 2 large tower Win XP computers prior to having one built for me. I was'nt sure of how to setup the bios and drivers from a SATA dvd burner/drive. I also built 2 Win 95 computers. Sorry I talked so much about retouching. I'm into digital photography. I've got a Canon 40D and 50D EOS digital SLR, tripod, monopod, etc. I have not taken as many photos as I wished because I've had a bum knee the last 2 years. Thank goodness for computers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Re: Hi! I'm RandyOl from WI in the U.S.A --- and

Hi Randy -

Welcome to!!

There are many great books available to help you become more facile in PS, so I don't have a strong recommendation in this area. Browse a bookshop till you find one that fits your learning style.

However, when it comes to retouching /restoration, I can heartily recommend:

Adobe Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
Katrin Eismann

This is a great discussion group and I have learned many things from the folks here.

Tom M
Washington, DC
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 PM

Hello Randy, welcome to RetouchPro...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Welcome Randy!

I like the Eismann book recommended above, but think my favorite restoration book is Digital Restoration From Start to Finish by CTEIN. Great info and you can download the photos to work along with the book.

I also have wrist/hand problems and highly recommend getting a Wacom tablet. I think 6"x8" is just about the right size. It will take a week or so to get comfortable on it, but it allows me to work the better part of the day with much less pain. Besides the increased comfort, it gives much better control while working on photos.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Thank you Becky and Tom M. for your recommendations. I did buy the Eismann book, and I find it good; I wish it would have had more on the tools of CS4. I definitely will get the book you recommend Becky, and I will consider the Wacom tablet. I have an older wacom tablet already hooked up, but it probably lacks many functions(need to study this). Sorry for my delayed response to both of you. I'm writing from my CS4 computer(the one I go to the forum with) which I have not been at for several weeks because of health reasons,etc. Thanks again

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon