RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Sometimes Life is Good

Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Re: Sometimes Life is Good

Well right now it seems i spend more time chasing my kids and dogs around than real photogaphy. lol

bought a D40 about a year back, and started working with photoshop to fix some photos i had of my wedding. I have a good friend who has been shooting with slr's for about 12 years. he was pretty impressed with how fast i was picking stuff up, especially my photoshop skills because he has never done any of that stuff. We started teaming up and working some projects together. So far we have done a promo poster for a large Tawkwando international instructors course, ive helped him with some 2nd camera work and post processing on various projects, right now im working on some promo posters for a shoring company based in denver for thier training room. We have been laying the groundwork to starting our own business for all things image related. Got the name, the domain, website is in progress, and things seem to be moving steadily along.
I know my associate is wanting to get into weddings, i would be happy to help but only as a 2nd shooter. im driving more towards commercial art, photo reconstruction, and post processing. Our skill sets compliment each other pretty well.

we have done shoots and promo pics for the Centennial Working Dogs group, which is a local kennel club with Malanois and Deutch Shepards that bite train thier dogs. A few engagement shoots, some portrait work, and this next spring we have the TaeKwanDo event next spring which we are doing the shooting for as well. My partner has done a lot of shooting for drag races and such as well.

Im hoping the D90 will be enough for that, i really wanted to get a D300 but even used im looking to pay at minimum of $500 over the cost of the D90, and that $500 could be better spend with the wife and kids and all.. Ive done pretty well with the D40, i cant wait to get to work with the D90. maybe if i get a few gigs over the next year i can start putting away for a d300 or 700

I understand the desire to not worry about swapping lenses and such. ive been tempted to pick up a P&S for fun, but the D40 is a featherweight. With the kit 18-55 lens on it it weighs next to nothing and is a great walking around camera. If im going somewhere a bit darker i put on the 35mm 1.8 and let my feet be the zoom.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...19-2008174.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 AM

hehe, well, when you're shooting nature shots, it's hard to let your feet be your zoom. the animals tend to walk faster than me
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 PM

nothing a 30-06 cant fix

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon