RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Just installed Win7 64-bit

Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Re: Just installed Win7 64-bit

You can get the Microsoft "easy transfer file" and copy to an external hard drive(one way) and copy over to your windows 7.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM

I dont think windows 7 on my xp machine is going very well. It goes to -expanding windows files(27%) and then it stops.?????
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Installed Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine, 8 gig ram. Instructions said to delete some programs first, like iTunes, and disable McAfee. I did all this and then couldn't "see" my dvd. Restored the system, ignored the advice, and the install went very smoothly. I was running Vista before and I really like W7.

Unfortunately it doesn't come with good photo management software like before. You can access the management software through Windows Live, but I don't like doing that. Does anyone know of a good photo management program, inexpensive for the novice like myself, where I can just organize and tag photos for retrieval?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM

ok, some answers and then a question of my own...

win7 was explained to me as 'vista stripped down and cleaned up' and, 'they stripped out all the kludge from vista, but you can put back whatever you like on win7 by going to microsoft.com and simply downloading and installing it.'. so, if you're missing your favorite app, program, device, idiot tool, or whatever in the new win7, have a look around on the microsoft site to see if it doesnt now exist as a downloadable for win7.

now, my question, i have vista64 bit home premium with a valid product key and an assurance from the computer store, that i'm entitled to a 'free' copy of win7. the microsoft site seems to verify that fact. however, the page i found on microsoft.com seems to want me to make copies of my sales receipts (which i have), and send the product key, along with $9.99 for shipping and handling and wait 6 to 8 weeks for my upgrade! are you freaking kidding me? 6 to 8 weeks? what happened to 'insert product key here, let us validate your authentic vista product and here's your download page to get it NOW! i mean, good lord, if i'd known it was going to be that much time, i'd simply have waited to build the new computer till win7 was selling retail!

lol. so, anyone have a nice quick solution for getting this thing? i truly do have the product key and the sales receipts and a valid copy of vista home premium (64 bit) bought within the time limit specified by microsoft for a free upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Patron

Going to partially vent myself. XP Mode sucks. Sluggish and only can view in 16-bit color (not 32). Got my Virtualbox XP running and its 300% better (much spiffier and true 32-bit color as well). It's what I'm going to use for running any legacy software. Also, I got my Sandboxie back too. I have shares with the host so I can exchange files as necessary as well. A sandbox is the only way imo to protect from malware, so I will only show myself online in a Sandbox. I do hope tzuk decides to make it 64-bit compatible, but he's so far not willing. The only program of it's kind is Zonealarm's Forcefield, but it requires a yearly re-up not to mention more expensive (have not experience with it either but I doubt it is a spiffy as Sandboxie is). Just a tiny vent from an overall enthusiastic new user (never Vista'd; never will; lol).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Patron

I guess the venting is just starting (didn't see your post Craig when I posted mine). I know you will get the right thing to happen for you. Vista 64 (fixed a few of these too) is much better then Vista 32 so hopefully you can get along with if for the little while until 7 comes your way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
ok, some answers and then a question of my own...

but you can put back whatever you like on win7 by going to microsoft.com and simply downloading and installing it.'. so, if you're missing your favorite app, program, device, idiot tool, or whatever in the new win7, have a look around on the microsoft site to see if it doesnt now exist as a downloadable for win7.

along with $9.99 for shipping and handling and wait 6 to 8 weeks for my upgrade! are you freaking kidding me?
My photo management tool was Windows Gallery, which I can now get only through Windows Live. In other words, all my pixs are stored on-line. Sorry, that's not working for me. I really don't like the thought of pixs of my six grandkids floating around in some on-line storage tank.

I had the option of the "free" upgrade as well. Same results. Back in July Amazon offered Home Premium for $49.99, guaranteed delivery on 22 Oct. I did it, and it arrived as promised.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 AM

I just got Windows 7 installed on my XP computer. What I had to do was call Microsoft. I had to set it up to start from the DVD. Then go through setup and finally to the activation(which it said was not a valid code). I had already been warned that would probably happen. It seems that Widows 7 is an upgrade. You can only upgrade Vista, not xp. So I had to get into the files and start the whole process again.(this would then be the upgrade). Then I activated windows 7, and all is good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srailey View Post
Does anyone know of a good photo management program, inexpensive for the novice like myself, where I can just organize and tag photos for retrieval?
I'm not sure what capabilities make a program a "photo management program", but take a look at XnView to see if it will satisfy your needs. For all I need, this little program is feature-packed. You can even edit IPTC data in JPEGs, then search on keywords you've entered. Best of all, it's freeware. Unfortunately, I do not know if it will work in Windows 7. Check it out at http://www.xnview.com/.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 PM

you could also try kodak's easy share software. it's free. here's the link: http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...requestid=1442
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon