Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

A Welcome Note To Newbies

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2003, 02:00 PM
What a breath of fresh air!

Thanks DJ, I will try to remember who everyone is as time goes by. I think you are all well worth knowing!

Great site.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:24 PM

Let me add my welcome to this forum, too!

DJ and Jak are two of my favorite people at this site -- among many others. I don't hold a candle to their knowledge and expertise in this dimension of image trickery, so be assured they'll take good care of you, especially as you graduate beyond PD2K.

I know at some point in time when you're ready to spread your wings further, you'll dive back into the Photo-art forum with GUSTO... and will be welcomed with open arms!

If you think your kids like standard photos, wait until they see themselves in "watercolor" -- or combination photos... part "standard" images and part "arty." Their friends (and hopefully their parents) will beat a path to your door... hopefull with checkbook in hand.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:33 PM
Smile ~!

The welcome is appreciated! I can see already there is tons to learn here and wonderful people to interact with.

Glad I decided to take your advice and check out the site!

As far as Photo Art, I'll be seeing ya soon,....I just opened a package and believe it or not a wonderful person decided to send me Photo Shop,...hmmm, imagine that!

Thanks for the help and the software, I am ready to rock and roll with digital manipulation!

Take care,
Nite Owl
Old 01-22-2003, 05:56 PM
PS 7 Newbie Comment

Dear Jak,

Last night I posted a reply and submitted a photo to the Salon forum part of this site and wanted to definitely say a big THANK YOU to you Jak for your great tutorial on colourisation.

I have so much more I want learn and this site has been great
(even though I know this has been written by countless other newbies too)!

Thanks again for your help Jak!

Old 01-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Smile Newbie

Hi All,

It seems I have finally found the right place for all the information I have been looking for. I look forward to comments on my work from people that actually do photo retouching and restoration. My Boyfriend has talked me into doing this on the side. He seems to think I am good! Now I will really find out if I have what it takes!
So where do I start? I have never joined anything like this and hope you even get this message!

thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Well I just signed up this evening and got to say I'm already impressed by the site.
Ok about me. Well I'm a 53 year old guy living in dear old England. The North of England to be exact and I am a real and total newbie to photo restoration etc.

Ok so I know my way around a computer but when it comes to digital photography then I am bottom of the class.

So what made me start. Well two things. I have a lot of old photos of my parents taken during and before the war that I've always wanted to restore but because I've always been too busy with my job (Self employed) I've never had the time. My new years resolution this year was that I would make a start otherwise I knew I'd keep puting it off.

The other reason I want to get into digital retouching etc. is that come August I'm going to be a grandad for the first time and seeing as how my daughter lives in the South of England the only way I'm going to get those cute baby pics is over the computer so I've really got to know how to retouch them etc.

I've got to say that I am one happy guy that I found this site and I know I'm going to learn a lot from everyone so any help in any shape or form would be appreacited. As a matter of interest I'm going to be using photoshp 7 (which my wife bought me for my christmas and birthday present) so I guess that will help me a little. I hope

Cheers to everyone

Old 02-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey Len,

Welcome to RetouchPro! you're not the only member here from across the pond, you'll notice quite a few other (see the Regards from the UK thread)
for learning about digital retouching, I'm sure you'll learn a lot very quickly around here, this is where I learned most of the stuff I know about photoshop.

- David
Old 02-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks Dave I appreciate that. I'm sure I'll pick things up soon enough. There's plenty of tips to go at that's for sure.

Many Thanks

Old 02-10-2003, 07:29 AM

I'd like to introduce myself as well. I found this site about a week ago and have been completely engrossed in everything there is here. I can't stop searching around and looking at what everyone has submitted. There are some phenominal artists out there!

To let everyone know about my history, I have been a graphic artist for screenprinting and transfer companies for the last 13 years. With the birth of my son approaching, I decided a year ago to work from my home (he's now 8 months old). It was great for a while, but I think I was just getting too burnt out from that industry all together. During that time, my Mom and I have been tracing our family history and had several old photos that were in desperate need of repair. I had a blast and have found my new calling!

I've just submitted one photo (Restoration Challenge #5) and am asking for any and all feedback I can get. This was a lot of fun and I'd like to start up a restoration business.

I hope I get to know everyone soon. Until then, stay warm!
Old 02-15-2003, 10:55 AM
This is a great site! So many things to learn and so little time in life!!!!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon