Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

A Welcome Note To Newbies

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2003, 01:00 PM

Hi Jak,
I am te newest of the new. For starters, I can't figure out how to download the color charts - would love to have them! I am finding that your text is behind the charts and I can't read it, the same is happening on other pages. I'm using a Mac with Netscape. Would appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Hi MKStudio! Welcome to RP!

To answer your question, I don't have the color charts "downloaded". I just have them saved to my hard drive. I open them in Photoshop whenever I need them and use the eyedropper tool to choose the colors I want.

As far as text being behind the charts, you might want to change your screen resolution. I have mine set at 1024x768 and that seems to work fine.

And don't forget suggestion #6 at the beginning of this thread. You might want to post your questions in a new thread if my advice doesn't work so you'll have a better chance of getting a good solution from someone.

I'll look forward to hearing more from you! Have fun...
Old 03-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi all!

Good Morning all! Wll, I seem to have stumbled upon a lovely place. I've been pretty involved in photo manipulation and enhancement for a while now and have just taken the big plunge of quitting my job and starting up a business. I am after all the help I can get on topics including photoshop, particularly restoration (which I'm fairly new to) and possibly some marketing ideas for my business... as well as lots of tips and tricks I haven't found on my own

If you want to check out my new website go to

Once again, thanks guys

Old 05-15-2003, 11:50 PM
I've found THE site, can't really tell you how excited I am by this place, it's exactly what I was looking for. Member supported site, retoucher community. And you are all quite competent!

I've been a retoucher for the past ten years or so, traditional print retouching with dyes on prints and negs as well as Photoshop, working for everybody from Olan Mills to Playboy. Right now I'm a contractor for a pro lab, and it's very frustrating. I think you people would be shocked if you see what I see. Nobody was trained, the lab sends their fleet of artists on Photoshop and just assumes they'll figure it out by trial and error. The other day, my supervisor was upset because she was looking at a restoration/color correction I had done, and she was angry because she saw some funny "things" I put on the picture. I was color correcting, using the eyedropper to find the white/black/grey spots. I mean, this is fairly basic to the workings of Photoshop, right? But she's upset about this, thinking those strange markers are going to print! I assured her they wouldn't, but I just don't think she believed me. Finally I tricked her by hiding the extras. This is the woman in charge of retouching for the lab, one of the largest pro labs in the United States. How would they have sent out the order if I hadn't brought the actual colors back? Colorized, sad. I'm not sure how they keep their customers, honestly.

And they all think they're experts! The egos I'm dealing with, the ignorance, surrounded by it day in and day out. Hacks. I suppose I've strated ranting (but gee it feels good) and it may sound harsh... but trust me on this. Nobody even works in layers, all artwork is done directly on the background layer. I've tried helping (even though this really is not the place for a contractor), but it's hard to help someone learn the basics when they are certain they are an expert already. There's just something about retouching in general, I think, it can be very empowering, almost give one a God Complex. But with Photoshop, it's almost the more you learn--you eventually reach a point when you realize you are no expert, and not only that---probably never will be. And what do I find here, lurking in another thread? Folks here saying we aren't experts, you're still learning. Yes!

Must say, those of you who don't do this professionally and those who may feel new and intimidated by others around here, remember this: You know more than people being paid to do it, professionals, just by being here you know so much more. I've often felt alone, the only guy bothering to learn the basics, no one to turn to when I needed help. You just can't know how happy I am to find this site!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:28 AM
Welcome K!

I, as I'm sure everyone else here on this forum, agree with you. The true "experts" are the ones who have learned so much about Photoshop that they realize there is so much more to learn. It's an endless, wonderful, exciting cycle!

I hope you love this group as much as I do.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi K! Welcome to RetouchPro! I'm really glad that you found us. A lot of us feel "alone" in our work situations and this forum is a great place for support and comradery. We're spread all over the world (including South Africa, Zimbabwe, Australia, India, Philippines, Italy, Great Britain, Netherlands, US, Canada and more), but our love of photo restoration/retouching (and photo-art) is what brings us together. Don't feel shy about asking questions or sharing tips. I think you'll find us a friendly group, ready to lend a helping hand when asked and always ready to learn new info and techniques!

Old 06-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Smile new member

just joined this morning.i would like to say hi to all nice site and there is a lot of talented people using this site.
i must admit i found your site only by luck when looking on the internet, but i am very glad i did.
keep up the good work
Old 06-13-2003, 07:20 AM
Welcome philkf! Glad you found us!

Hopefully, we'll get to see some of your work here too! Don't be afraid to jump in and join us. We're all learning -- all the time! Just have fun and enjoy! :LOL:
Old 06-13-2003, 08:16 AM
I too, would like to echo Phils comments. I joined recently and the more I browse this site the more interesting and educational I find it. There are some pretty darn talented folks around here that impart some great advice and support. I am pretty much a digital hack but with the resources here I could develop into a pretty good hack

It is nice to stumble upon a real gem once in awhile...
Old 06-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Welcome, K, Philkf, Jeff L -- I'm glad you found this spot, and hope you'll jump right in and start working on a Challenge (Restoration, Retouching, Photo Art, Manipulation) or a Photo Art mini-challenge, or reading the Tips and Tutorials, or posting something interesting in the Salon, or...
-- whatever strikes your particular interest.

RetouchPro isn't just a site, it is a community -- welcome, neighbor!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon