RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

1st post, in need of pic feedback

Old 12-17-2009, 02:13 PM

1st post, in need of pic feedback

Grrrr. This is now my second post, as my first one was rudely deleted by internet explorer.

Here we go again, unfortunately not nearly as excited as I was the first time around.

HELLO!!

Very excited to finally join the community. Really love the feedback and support everyone shares. I'm working on an image I took of my friend under harsh lighting conditions in her boutique. I didn't use a flash or add any fill. I am wondering if you think the pic is going in a good direction. My fear is that I will overedit to the point the image doesn't really look like her. I just want to clean it up so she looks as beautiful as she naturally is and should feel. I like the mood of the photo but really don't care too much for the racoony undereye shadow. I'm still cleaning that up. I still need to clean up the hair, body, skin, and tonality overall.

The only techniques I have used so far are curves and color balance adjustments with plenty of masks. I also employed the pinch and shear filters, which I just learned last night from the Carrie Beene rebroadcast. I adore her, and what a godsend those filters are. Wish I knew about them sooner.

Some feedback would be great? Any thoughts? Good? Bad? Ugly? Yay? Advice? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Chandy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zaida_original2.jpg (75.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg zaida_edit.jpg (74.3 KB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 AM

Re: 1st post, in need of pic feedback

hi.

I think you're off to a great start. I think you did a great job with her face, especially those dark areas around her eyes. I like a subtle look and you've kept the natural colour of her face well.

I find her hair distracting. All over the place. Maybe you could tidy the strays up a bit. Also when her arm and back are shrunk, her breast looks a little out of proportion (depends on the audience though).

Really good start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 AM

I agree with MLK, I find her breasts distracting,
in fact, can't think of anything else at the moment!

OK, nuff kidding. Nice improvements to her face, shadows.
Her hair needs something, but I'm not sure what or how.

Last edited by aartist; 12-18-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Thanks MLK and Aartist. I definitely need to clean up the stray hair and the pattern of swayed hair on her back. I was thinking it would be best to tackle that last.

I agree her breast is distracting and disproportionate with the shrinking of her shoulder. I tried to minimize them but the it wasn't working out so well. I'll have to go in with a different strategy.
My other thought was that maybe she would prefer them to stay 'grand' since they are in person... But now that I know that they are distracting I'll have to change them. I don't want to distract the mood and beauty of the photo overall and of her face.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It has been a lot of help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 09:36 AM

Hi there, you are off to a great start here, I am not going to get to excited about the bust size that your past two critiques have mentioned but what I would like to offer could be of help to your efforts.

I usually try before I alter shapes of arms, noses, busts.... lol, (sorry couldn't help throw a little tongue in cheek humor there), is to gather pictures of arms or what ever body part I am currently working on to study the shape and in some cases how light falls over the part. I have even walked up to strangers in the mall and asked them to pose so that I could take a picture of their necklines etc. Needles to say you get met with the oddest verbal exchanges some times but luckily there is still the internet to go looking for these soughts of pictures. I find that it helps me put into perspective the type of shape that I would like to achieve in the end.

Another thing to keep an eye on is perspective, I see why you would like to reduce the size of your subjects shoulder but if you look at the photo you have shot her directly from the side and that has given you the effect that the shoulder looks out of proportion to the head thus the need to reduce it's size.

My last tip is that when the photo was taken it was focused for the plane where her shoulder is situated and her face has ended up slightly out of focus, this is easily combated by selecting her face and sharpening the details up but I would like to offer a tip for the photography efforts in the future. Keep an eye on your f/stops when you are about to take the shot, I think this shot was taken at a very low f/stop value which led to a shallow depth of field only focusing her shoulder. This is usually a desired effect when photographing portraits, the trick is to get the right area in focus and that can be a question of putting the square in the middle of the view finder on the face, depressing the shutter button slightly to get the camera to focus on the subjects face and holding it like that while you compose the shot to your liking.

Overall a great effort on lightening the shadows under the eyes, it really looks good. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Ash,

You have brought up some great points. I actually have a couple books of tear sheets from various magazines/publications of images that I like to use for inspiration or examples. I actually didn't look at them before I started working on this image. You're right though, and I should have. At the time I was too anxious to try out some of the new tricks I had just learned. I will be sure to look at them as I go further.

Thank you for the photography tip. Unfortunately, the limitation I had with this image during its capture was that I was using available light from recess lighting. She was also spinning. I asked her to twirl as I was capturing a serious of motion shots. Both of those factors forced me to use a low apperture to stop her motion a bit quicker to snap this image. This image happened to be of her mid twirl as she was looking at me. I really wish it was more in focus. That is something I'm going to have to mend a bit in post.

Thank you for your humor and advice. By the way I really like the work you did on the poorly lit photograph on your profile page. It looks really good. I will keep your tips in mind. I have been away from my photography for two years and it seems there are so many details I have forgotten. It is very nice getting feedback to improve my skills and fill in the gaps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Hi Chandy,

Thanx for your compliments on my work.
Some times there seems to be so much to think about before you depress the shutter when photographing but once you're into it again it will all flow like honey.

If ever you need tips on either photography or editing don't hesitate to drop me a line, I would be glad to help

Keep well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 02:24 AM

nice shot but i think there is a slight bit of yellow colouring around her eye socket close to her nose. not sure if this is intentional but it could be easily corrected...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon