RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Wild fires

Old 06-14-2002, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the kind sentiments everyone!

Chiquitita, Some of the mountain towns have decided to cancel fireworks this year. Probably smart on their part since they depend so much on tourism and a fire would pretty much kill that business for at least a couple of years. There is no statewide ban though - it's being left up to each municipality. There are fire and personal fireworks bans throughout the state though - and there has been talk about possibly closing public lands from any recreation at all (to reduce human-caused fire risk) because the state can't handle another fire starting right now. Yes, it's crazy.

David, the sunsets last weekend up here in Ft Collins were spectacular - only ruined by the knowledge of what created them (smoke). I can't see the smoke plume from Ft Collins though - I think because there is so much haze caused by the smoke spreading across the front range. We haven't been getting quite as much haze the past three days because the wind is blowing south - which is also why the fire turned back on itself and away from Denver. Wind is a given in CO though and very unpredictable, which is why they are saying this fire is still a risk to the Denver suburbs.

There is a website with lots of fire info that I've been checking the past couple of days:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/fire/hayman/index.htm
The photos and perimeter maps are probably the most interesting for non-Coloradoans.

Of course, this is only one fire out of eight. The 12,000 acre fire near Glenwood Springs seems to be slightly more under control - I think I heard 35% contained, but I'm not sure. And I haven't been following the others because it's a little overwhelming to think about!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 10:37 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeaniesa
[B]

David, the sunsets last weekend up here in Ft Collins were spectacular - only ruined by the knowledge of what created them (smoke).

It's amazing that nature can make something so beautiful out of a disasterous situation. I just checked out the link you provided. It looks like there are a few small towns that had fire coming from two different directions. That had to be really scary. Glad you're not too close at this time. Take care Jeanie.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 07:17 AM

Cold Missourri Waters (sorta long)

With all the talk about fires, I would like to reccommend a song. I know that sounds strange, but I recently heard a song that I had to go research because the lyrics were interesting. It is called Cold Missourri Waters - it is written by James Keelaghan (he is a Canadian folk singer) and the version I have is performed by Richard Shindell backed up by Lucy Kaplansky and Dar Williams.
See my post in this thread for more info on Dar.

thread

You might ask, what does this have to do with fires? Good question! Cold Missourri Waters is about the Mann Gulch fire in Montana in 1949 which took the lives of 13 smoke jumpers. "Wag" Dodge was the senior smokejumper who led the jumpers in and they thought they thought the fire would be an easy one, however it jumped the valley and trapped them. With no way out, Wag Dodge lit what is now known as an escape fire. He told the men to lay in the burnt grass but they either didn't listen and ran. The fire caught up to them and they died. The only survivors were Dodge and two men that stayed behind and listened to him. Dodge died a few years later of Hodgkins disease. The guy who wrote the song said something like "the fate that saved his life at age 32, took it at 36." I believe they credit Wag Dodge for "inventing" the escape fire technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 08:31 AM

Chiquitita, the Coal Seam fire which is burning near Glenwood Springs is eerily near the Storm Mountain fire which took the lives of 14 fire fighters in a very similar incident a few years ago. That incident is one reason the fire fighters were called off the front lines for the first few days of the Hayman Fire (near Denver) because the wind was so bad it was causing the fire to jump ahead of itself. (There's a term for that - but I can't remember what it is.) Sounds like a powerful song - and a very interesting technique for surviving through a situation that I can't even imagine.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 09:25 AM

It makes you appreciate firefighters and what they do. I was having a discussion with someone the other day about firefighters and how they are true heroes. We were talking about what hard work they do and how their sole motivation is to help people. Other occupations sometimes have other motivations behind them. I know quite a few police officers, for example, and many of them are in it for the power trip - not all, of course, but I would say a decent percentage. Firemen, however, risk their lives with no motivation other than to put out the fire and possibly save lives. Pretty awesome work.

Wag Dodge apparently never jumped again and from what I read, never got over loosing those men - that is what the song is about - him telling the story from his death bed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 02:10 PM

I couldn't find the photo I was looking for, but I did find another one from near Glenwood springs. looks scary!!

- David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorado.jpg (82.3 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 02:24 PM

I would hate to be those people in that town seeing that coming over the hills.
I agree with Chiquitita that the firefighters are unsung heros. It seems like once a month they are having some type of awards on tv for celebrities when the awards should be going to professions like this.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by d_kendal
I couldn't find the photo I was looking for, but I did find another one from near Glenwood springs. looks scary!!

- David
I did myself a challenge on your pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg co fire.jpg (95.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2002, 02:51 PM

Yikes! I hadn't seen any photos of the Coal Seam fire (Glenwood). But, I just went looking for some on the web. There are a bunch at the 9 News site. Go about hafway down the page on the left (just under the Coal Seam Fire heading) and you should see a link for "Wildfires Slide Show" and "Coal Seam Slide Show".
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 08:00 PM

A friend of mine just moved to Colorado and today I received an email with some pictures of the fires near his house. Here is a picture of the Hayman Fire taken from right beside his house. I hear that it is the largest wildfire in Colorado history.

-T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire.jpg (47.3 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon