RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Wild fires

Old 06-10-2002, 05:41 PM

Wild fires

While I'm not in any danger with existing fires, having been near enough to one two years ago to pack my car with irreplacables (i.e., photos and computer), the wild fires raging in CO right now have me on edge.

The latest news on the fire near Denver is that it's 10 miles from the SW suburbs and moving forward at 1 mph. Yesterday morning the fire was at 5,000 acres - right about now it's estimated at 60-70,000 - and if the wind keeps blowing like it is, estimates are that the fire will be 100,000 tonight. 40,000(!) people may have to be evacuated. Not to mention that a major watershed is threatened - in a drought-ridden state. And there's nothing that can be done to stop it. Firefighters were pulled off the front lines earlier today because the wind was making it much too dangerous, so it's being fought only from the air at this point. There is no rain in the picture at all in the next couple of days (and possible thunderstorms after that - which have been pretty good at bringing lightning without any rain these days), so who knows how bad it's going to get.

And what makes me most upset and furious is that they say this fire was started by an ILLEGAL CAMPFIRE!! It's one thing to deal with fires caused by lightning (and there's plenty of those fires burning too), but to have such devestation caused by the stupidity (or is it arrogance that the fire ban doesn't apply to them?) of humans leaves me speechless!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 05:49 PM

Jeanie,
I'm so sorry about what you must be going through. I remeber a couple years back when Florida was on fire and I looked out my back porch one night and could see the skys lit up from them and the smoke was so strong you couldn't breath stepping outside. It's a frightening thing.
I had heard about the fires but had no idea how close to you they were. Most times it's man's stupidity of carelessness that start these fires. It's just too bad nature isn't helping things out. Wish I could send some good hurricane rains your way. With out the heavy winds of course.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 06:59 PM

DJ, just to be clear, I'm not near enough to the fires to see any flame or even "glow" in the night sky. (Two years ago I was though.) I'm not in any danger at all actually - it's about 80 miles away. But we're getting enough smoke to make everything hazy and give sunsets disturbing (though beautiful) colors. I remember at least two RP members who live in Denver though.

The scary thing (for me) is that one tiny spark could set off the same sort of disaster much closer to me. Unless we start getting a lot of rain (doubtful), the whole summer is going to be like this. Guess I better get used to it.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 07:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jeanie,

I saw the news tonight about the fires, and I was going to ask you about them. They showed one family that had to evacuate, and the guy said they packed up some of their treasures, specifically mentioning their pictures and albums. When I heard that they called the fire fighters off, I knew it was really getting bad. Hopefully you'll get some rain to help out. Wish there were something we could do to help.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 08:32 PM

Jeanie - Like Ed, I was reading about the fires tonight and you came to mind. I actually logged on here with the intention of starting at thread to ask you how you were!

Sounds like you are in no danger at the moment but it really makes me mad every time I hear about one of these fires. The most devastating fires always seem to be a result of human ignorance and it takes a huge toll not only on nature but on human life. I have been through hurricanes and tornadoes, so I know how unpredictable these things can be...I only wish, like DJ, that I could send you a nice long 2 day rain shower!

Stay safe and keep us updated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 09:31 AM

Thanks for your concern everyone - that's really touching.

Update this morning is that last evening the wind changed direction and the fire started moving back on itself. Yeah!! It's estimated to be 77,000 acres - the largest in CO history. But the danger for SW Denver residents is far from over. The wind could switch back just as fast, so everyone down there is still on alert. There's a 30% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon, so let's hope they actually materialize and that they contain lots of rain!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 09:53 AM

Thanks for your concern (over in kaleidescopes) Lisa.

I haven't heard an update this morning, last night's news said that the fire is now 90,000 acres (covering 135 sq miles). The weather yesterday cooperated in that the winds were blowing away from Denver, so they were able to put ground crews working on a containment line between the fire and Denver. And they were able to put air crews in the air for the first time in two days. 30 more homes were destroyed though, bringing the total homes destroyed to 51. I think something like 4000 residents have been evacuated from the smaller towns around Pike National Forest; residents in the SW Denver suburbs are still on alert to evacuate at a moments notice if the wind changes direction again.

The fire is no threat to Fort Collins (80 miles away), but we have quite a haze in the sky. And if the wind shifts again, we'll start getting showers of ash again too. That's nothing compared to what residents in the line of the fire are facing though.

Gotta run... Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 10:23 AM

I lived in Florida when those fires were happening. It was nuts. I remember them canceling the 4th of July fireworks, I drove three hours just to see fireworks. And the smoke... that was the worst, on the news they told people to stay inside especially if you had asthma or a breathing problem to start with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 01:41 AM

hi Jeanie,

glad to hear that the fires aren't too close to you, I've seen photos of your area in my newspaper and it looks quite scary. in Alberta, there's forest fires here too, but there's all kinds of other weird weather too. in the north end of alberta, the just got a huge dump of snow (in June!!!) and they've got about 3 days of pouring rain. it's gone from one disaster to another, first everything is burning up, then there's flooding everywhere. I'm lucky though, I'm in the middle of a fairly big city, and all I'm getting is really nice sunny weather.

- David

P.S. I tried to find the photo of the red sky in colorado that I saw in my newspaper so I could attach it to this post, but I couldn't find it, sorry. it was a really amazing pic, and if i find it I'll definitely post it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 02:41 AM

Jeanie - I only just caught the news last night ... Forest fires are no fun - we get them all the time here in the winter (dry season). Sending good thoughts for your safety! Sam
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon