RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Torrential rains and wind expected in Phoenix

Old 01-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Re: Torrential rains and wind expected in Phoenix

I've considered commercial insurance, but haven't gotten to it yet. Whoops. We haven't had a tree go thru the roof, but today looks chancy. Heavy rain and winds to 65 mph. I'm just feeling paranoid for some reason.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Patron

Here ya go Becky..

Some nice hot chocolate and vanilla wafers to help you relax...

Enjoy, then look forward to the rainbows..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HotChocolate.jpg (192.7 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Why, thank you -- it looks yummy. I've got most everything moved, so I'm just kicking back and watching the storm. Hot chocolate, or maybe coffee, sounds like a great idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM

Dang! Now we have a tornado watch. Guys, this never happens in Phoenix.
All our dry rivers are now overflowing. The airport is closed. Northern AZ is having a blizzard like they've never seen. Arizona is pretty much a mess.

Just wondering. What are you supposed to do in a tornado watch? It's not like we have storm cellars or anything.

Last edited by bpurvis; 01-21-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Patron

A watch means a tornado is possible, get ready just in case.. watch and see if one happens .. It might and might not..

A warning means one has been spotted... if it is in your area seek shelter

If you are certain the tornado is heading toward you ... I would lay flat and hug the bottom of the toilet.. OR get in the tub with sofa cushions to cover with for protection from flying glass and debris, or get in the corner of a closet

From Tornado Safety:

IN HOMES OR OTHER SMALL BUILDINGS:
The best places are:

a small, windowless, first floor, interior room like a closet or bathroom. The bathtub and commode are anchored directly into the ground, and sometimes are the only thing left in place after the tornado. Getting into the bathtub with a couch cushion over you gives you protection on all sides, as well as an extra anchor to the foundation. Plumbing pipes may or may not help hold the walls together, but all the extra framing that it takes to put a bathroom together may make a big difference. If there is no downstairs bathroom and the closets are all packed with "stuff," a hall may be the best shelter. Put as many walls as you can between yourself and the tornado. In a pinch, put a metal trash over as much of you as you can. It will keep some flying debris from injuring you. Even that may make the difference between life and death.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the good info. Have to admit that I've never thought of what to do in a tornado. They're pretty rare around here. There's a warning west of us, but so far we only have a watch. Had to laugh when I looked around my house. The only room without an outside wall is the master bedroom closet -- so I guess that's where we would head, grabbing pillows and our thick comforter for protection. All my photos and computers are in the middle of the house so I guess I'm as prepared as I can get. This is strange weather for Arizona.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM

It's pouring rain and a tornado warning has been issued for our area. Entire state involved. They're saying it may be the worst storm in AZ history.

Last edited by bpurvis; 01-21-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 AM

Hope all is well with you today
had a look at your local news this morning and noticed that the tornado hit Arizona/California but not sure if this is by you at all?

also i looked at the photo's sent in to the news and they are awesome although one really worth mentioning is of a boy with a "wet vacuum" sucking the water up !! ! ! ! !

http://www.azcentral.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Looks like we dodged the bullet. It rained like crazy and will continue through tomorrow, but the winds have died down. Apparently a couple of tornadoes did touch down around us, but I didn't hear of major damage. There is some bad flooding and the blizzards continue up north. Jack got out in the rain yesterday morning and dug a trench to funnel rain away from the house and he built a berm around the patio, so we did okay. I'm sure a lot of people didn't though, so I'll be watching the news today as reports filter in.

I know that the big car auction in Scottsdale got torn up yesterday. Tent poles crushed cars, tossed cars around, and part of the tents and poles ended all the way up onto the I-10. I did have to wonder why, considering the forecast, they didn't cancel and skedaddle. Guess it's not easy to dismantle something that big. People come from all over to buy at that auction.

Now I have a family room full of boxes of photos and all my computer equipment. Just looking at it makes me cringe, but I'm not sorry I pulled it out of harms way. When the wind was blowing last night and trees swaying and shuddering, I was mighty relieved that everything was away from windows and as safe as I could make it.

Maybe I'll totally clean and paint my office before I reassemble everything. Hmmmm...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Patron

Glad things are calming down for you!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon