Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Hi, I just joined today and thought I'd introduce myself -- hoping at least to get that annoying (but good idea) message off my screen about posting to introduce myself. (Perhaps a link could be given to the salon area in the message!)

Anyhow, I have used photoshop to do minor things for years. Last year I made the mistake of volunteering to help out on a memory book for our class reunion -- it was like a full time job of scanning in things from a 50 year old yearbook, and doing quick fixes to try to make them halfway decent. Quite a rush, as no one else had been so foolish to volunteer so the deadline was near.

After that my interest was tweaked and I bought a book on retouching and restoration. Talk about locking the barn door after the horses have escaped! I was a little burned out, though, and have really just gotten to it.

I had undertaken a project to digitize our family photos so that is inspiring as I go through the book. I pick out photos that I had a hard time with and see whether the techniques help. I also just found a bunch of photos from 1930 and earlier and it really is fascinating to bring them back to life. I am finding I could spend a lot of time doing this as it is so rewarding but there are so many different things to try! I took time off yesterday from the book so that I could work on some of the old photos. I think some are really good, but others I cannot get to my liking yet. I also find I am not sure how modern to make the pictures look, so that will probably be one of my first searches here. Getting thoughts on what others have come up with on this.

This site looks like another place one could easily spend years, just to absorb what others have found.

Boy, that is a long intro!

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Re: Intro

Judy, welcome to RetouchPro. Yes, there is a ton of info to absorb and each one of those tons will likely point you to offshoot tons. Enjoy your learnings here at RP.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon