RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Macular degeneration

Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Macular degeneration

I'd been diagnosed with macular degeneration, dry type, about six or seven years ago. At first I went into a "the sky is falling" mentality, then, as time progressed the panic wore off. Visits to the opthomologist became so routine that I discontinued them. While checking the amsler's grid every day showed no apparent progression, it became almost a dead issue. Till yesterday.

I was up late and trying so hard to do a good job on a photoshop project, when...I realized there was a blind spot right in the center of each eye... and I just couldn't see. I'd try looking up & over, around & under, just couldn't make it. Today it was a little better.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Any artist who copes with this vision problem? I'd sure like to hear some of your experiences.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Patron

Re: Macular degeneration

My sympathies, Veronica - I'm on the waiting list for cataract surgery, so have some feeling for the vision/photoshop thing. No insight into dealing with macular degeneration, though. Hope someone comes through with info for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for sharing your cataract situation Lurch and the
Quote:
vision/photoshop thing.
I remember my dad had cataract removal and when he died of heart failure I remember my mom saying something like, his eyesight was the only perfect thing that still worked. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Veralisa; 03-15-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 PM

Hello Veronica, I was diagnosed with Dry AMD macular degeneration around 1992. It has progressed to the point where I can no longer drive except on the brightest days. I can no longer recognize faces until people are close and I have magnifiers on. Any fine detail is a challenge to see of course. There is no recourse or help other then antioxidants, which is not even that sure or proven, but may slow the effects somewhat. I use a 24 inch flat screen computer monitor with everything magnified. When doing art I just work to what looks good to me, so everything I do is high contrast and bold colors mostly. Done for the enjoyment factor and the opportunity to appreciate the work of other artists. I occasionally have the blind spots in the center as you have described. Mostly when fatigue has set in from working with my eyes to long. Thankfully it is a temporary thing for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 AM

John...that's great to hear, I mean, how you handle this thing. Your work is super, never would guess in a million years what you need to go through to get such fine results. I feel better already! Thank you so much for sharing this with me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon