RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Volcano in Iceland

Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Volcano in Iceland

That's a cool pic, thanks!

All we need now is for another volcano to go off elsewhere in the world, and our delicate infrastructure is finished...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2010, 12:52 AM

BBC America was reporting that the ash discharge had lightened up a bit now but that the lava flow had increased. at the time of eruption, the ash being thrown into the air was roughly 500 tons PER SECOND!

and yes, volcanos can create their own weather, including lightning. when pinatubo blew in the phillipines, the resulting weather storm was intense. it was an incredible mess. ash was falling covering everything and then flooding from the weather created by the volcano was moving the ash around, wiping things out and burying other things. quite incredible.

the economic impact of the iceland volcano is already being felt across the world. flowers in kenya scheduled for delivery in europe were rotting with no place to go. ferrys are shuttling a large number of folks from calais to the u.k., but at exorbitant prices. there are folks stranded in the u.s. that wish to return to europe, but cant and are sleeping in the airports for the most part. perishables from around the world cannot fly in to europe and either have to be sold at a fairly large loss for quick sale or simply rot. the airlines were reported to be losing 200 million dollars a day, or some such very high number. that this could go on for a year like this is unlikely, but not impossible. normally, those main blasts of ash and such subside fairly quickly, like within days or weeks, but usually not months or years. i think mount saint helens went on for a few days and that was about it. pinatubo lasted a bit longer, but was quite a bit larger to begin with. but it was by no means months, if i remember correctly. but yes, it is affecting economics.

what has surprised me most is that there wasnt more loss of life from this one. it was rather a spectacular eruption.

i'm also curious how this will affect iceland's geothermal energy production. they produce a lot of electricity from geo thermal.

someone else mentioned the ash fallout. this can be quite wide ranging, sometimes actually going entirely around the globe. it shall be interesting to watch. the authorities are trying to get a handle on when and where the airlines can resume, but so far, nothing. about the only things flying are scout and spotter planes flying near the volcano and a test flight or two of major passenger planes to try and determine how much the ash is affecting the engines. and, that's the biggest concern, how the ash affects the engines. officials are afraid to say ok if there is any risk to passenger safety. NO ONE wants to say 'sure, go ahead and fly' and then have planes falling out of the sky only to be found that engines failed due to ash damage.

some of the videos on the 'telly' are quite spectacular of the actual eruption. if you get a chance, do see some of them.

as for the contrails, there are quite a large number of variables. time and altitude are the biggest. it can look like two planes are about to crash if you only watch their contrails, but it's difficult from the ground to see the actual heights of the respective planes. time also plays a huge part. those contrails can dissipate quite rapidly or quite slowly. so, you see an X but there can be quite a time difference in the two. direction also plays a part and so does the amount of water vapor, temperature and whether the plane is flying level, ascending or descending. here, read the wiki on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrail . and here, check these out: http://images.google.com/images?q=co...N&hl=en&tab=wi
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 AM

As of last night we have planes again and vapour trails lol
the volume of air traffic has been slowly building all day ! ! ! but not back to full strength just yet

but as we live so close hope there is no problems with the aircraft

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

From Fox News:

"As volcanic ash cast a shadow over millions of lives, Londoners and other city dwellers across Europe were treated to a rare spectacle of nature: Pristine, blue skies brighter than any in recent memory.

"The remarkable sight happened in part because mass flight groundings prevented busy airspace from being crisscrossed with plumes of jet exhaust that create a semi-permanent haze — and other effects beyond the white contrails themselves."
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Patron

Sal just shared this link with me. Not sure if it has already been shared on this thread yet, and I ain't, 'scuse my Southern slang, going to open every link on this thread to find out. lol

Does anyone have a link of the proper pronunciation of this volcano? lol

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...llajokull.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Does anyone have a link of the proper pronunciation of this volcano? lol

No way I really enjoyed the news-people breaking their tongue
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 PM

those are some amazing pics, lyle! i can see why photographers go idiotic during events like these and take risks that they probably shldnt. hell, i'm tempted myself to go over and take some. let's stand on the crater's edge and shoot straight down!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Patron

My sister-in-law's father (name eludes me now) was a Photographer for National Geographic and he died while shooting a volcano. Though not directly effected, still, it hits sort of close to home. All I do know about the photographer was that he was from England. Anyway, I would not be as brave as you Craig.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 AM

Superb photo's Lyle and sorry but "ain't" is a true Brummie word

not in the same league but i remember when concorde made its first landing here, i watched most of it through the view finder and realised what a spectacle i had missed photographing it

and on the pronunciation take a read of this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-Iceland.html
It seems we have had the name wrong all along

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Patron

lol; never was any good and graphical represenations for words. The story is even more funny in that all they need to pronounce was just a small part of it. Still glad that the bad part of it is finally settling down enough for most travel to continue.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon