RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Transport woes

Old 10-01-2010, 03:35 AM

Re: Transport woes

Yipee we have wheels again and our own !
yes it is a old one, but I dont care,we can go shopping when we want (bliss)and I don't have to run around trying to be as fast as i can so that I don't hold the others up, we can visit (not sure on that one ), take a little tootle around some local attractions ? etc. etc. etc.

friends and family have been great giving us lifts etc.

but it is funny how things change, we thought "we can do without a car for a bit" but didnt take into account the cost of public transport, the unreliability of public transport, moving things from one place to the next, emergencies ( although in all fairness as my husband hurt his arm and he is the driver it wouldn't of made any difference), feeling ill ( boy it is a long walk to a bus stop then ) and of course the great British weather ! ! ! I have needed new shoes ( all the walking) and was just thinking of getting a new winter coat.! ( only have jackets for in the car )

now I know it wont be long before we are cursing cars again and there costs but at the moment I love our little old smoker oh and i must go now, off to the shops again

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Yipee we have wheels again and our own !
...we can go shopping when we want (bliss)and I don't have to run around trying to be as fast as i can so that I don't hold the others up, we can visit (not sure on that one ), take a little tootle around some local attractions ? etc. etc. etc.

Palms
Wahooo!!! Thank Goodness!!

I know what you mean, and it is SO wonderful that family and friends have made it easier for you being without the car, but it is SO much easier for everyone when you have the car. So -- you need the new shoes, but may not need the new coat, and if you don't feel well, someone can drive you to the doctor, but hopefully you and your husband will both feel just great and the car will love taking you on errands and will appreciate being loved by its new family.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Patron

Definitely good news Palms. Don't know what I would do without my horse (car) Susie. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 10:50 PM

now the question is, palms, when are you going to learn to drive?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 11:46 PM

Yay! Palms got wheels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2010, 03:19 AM

Angry Re: Transport woes

Ha ha me learn to drive ! have you seen there are other cars on the road !
I tried it once ! and didn't like that you had to learn to move the car before you learnt how to stop it !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 PM

i know what the problem is, you brits drive on the wrong side and that's what's confusing you, palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Ha ha me learn to drive ! have you seen there are other cars on the road !
I tried it once ! and didn't like that you had to learn to move the car before you learnt how to stop it !

Palms
Palms - don't know if you will ever try it again, but driving scared me when I started also (many decades ago). My mom took me out one morning before school on a little street - I was fine until I saw a school bus coming towards us - I threw up my hands and told mom to take the wheel because I was afraid I would hit the bus. It looked SO much BIGGER than when I was only a passenger. Practicing in a vacant parking lot (early morning?) helped to get used to the feel of working the pedals and steering wheel at the same time. Then you can concentrate on the eye/hand coordination with moving cars after your muscles get used to working things together. Maybe you wouldn't want to try it, but IF you have ever wanted to - ask a stable friend to give you a try in a safe, quiet place and see if you can learn to relax after a little while of practicing. At least you have a husband to drive you places, so maybe you'll never need to drive. I worry about the possibility of not being able to drive anymore - went to the eye doctor and my cataracts aren't bad enough to require surgery. I have trouble with headlights at night and generally avoid night driving.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 AM

I'm with you...I'm a newcomer here in England, living in Brighton where the buses are quite efficient but horribly expensive (2 pounds for a single journey, 3.60 for a day saver. If you need two buses to get where you want to, you need to pay twice). It's not worth taking a week pass (13 pounds) as we are big walkers and only need the bus when it rains (will be season now) So sometimes we only need the car for supermarket shopping and avoiding to get soaked...And sometimes we only get into the car for 2 miles, which can only takes 15 min or so to walk...It's a shame, but nobody want to spend £2 for 2 miles on a bus. It's seems that the people where we live don't value the money exactly the same as we do. Some takes the taxi for just 5 minutes...So it doesn't then sounds relevant for the public transport services to make it affordable for all the others. The bike is definitely the solution, with a good mac and wellies, of course. I'm really definitely considering buying one.

PS: I still got my continental car, and I assure you it's not so complicated to drive that way. And the drivers here are far more aware and considerate than the French ones..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Ha ha Craig, but it is you that drives on the wrong side

C.J. i did try once in a car park ! ! but i think a big field would be better !
The one thing my Dad was chauvinistic about was women driving, and he used to tell me i would not make a good driver and he would get of the road if i got on it ! ! ! That didnt stop him teaching me about car repair though and was his assistant many a time under the bonnet. and i have since passed my knowledge onto hubby and sons!

4personnen been there with a bike and was great until the knees started to complain
as for taxi's we found if we were only going a few miles it was cheaper to use them ! !
and i think it would be a lot nicer walking round Brighton than here in the big city ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon