Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Cool Introduction

Hi there!

I've visited a few times but never posted following the welcome prompt to post an introduction.

I shoot with good equipment sometimes (D700 with great glass) but for the most part I use a bridge cam (Fuji s100fs), for pretty well everything from sports to weddings. I get particularly stubborn about it the more I hear I shouldn't. Being a small sensor camera necessitates retouching ..starting in LR 2.7 with more detailed effort in CS3.

DOF is a big challenge and has to be created due to the small sensor.. Compared to shooting a full frame with an f2.8 70-200 and getting nice DOF at 7 frames per second ..the work involved admittedly raise questions about my sanity, but neverthess I still try and am always looking for simpler ways.

With the high end cameras and lenses, I feel like a passenger along for the ride. It's just plain scary when so many photos turn out! I find it relaxing and enjoyable seeing them evolve from the bridge cam shots though keep doing it. I know I'll move up to a DSLR at some point but for now, having those available whenever I want them enough. Also, spoiled by using those means when I do move up will be expensive. That thought helps me rationalize the effort of trying to get at least a whiff of 'expensive results' with my bridge cam.

I'm hoping to learn here and looking forward to exchanging thoughts with you.
At lunch today I watched an OnOne video tutorial of their 'focus point' software and really liked the way it could take focused backgrounds with highlights in them such as street lights, ballroom lights at a wedding reception, or even middle distance faces etc., and blur them, simulating the effect of hexagonal or octagonal aperature blade shapes in a blurred background. Some still didn't look real and seem to struggle with gradually diminishing focus (almost more so than using gradients in PS), but that program's ability to manipulate to create bokeh ...looked good and worth trying to develop an action in PS to do it.

I've tried the 'bokeh' brush approach in PS but that plops a trail of shapes randomly all over the place that wouldn't fool my dog. I've experimented with heavily dodging highlights then bluring the background with them in it, to get some of that effect. It helps but doesn't compare to that OnOne look and for sure not to the bokeh from a super lens shot wide open. Not sure how I'd create that blade effect. If I find or conjure up a technique that can do that I'll think I've passed on and snuck through the fence into heaven.

So ..hi all. I'm impressed with what I've seen on this site. I hope to fit in and even offer assistance on occasion if others need help with things my limited knowledge and experience happen to encompass. Hopefully some of the talent I see here will rub off on me.

I have a flickr site and will post the link in case anyone cares to see what a daunting task my development will be..

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Re: Introduction

Hello JJ and welcome to RetouchPro! Your photographic knowledge and skills are welcome here. Enjoy you stay here at RP.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon