RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Hello from Nashville, TN!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Hello from Nashville, TN!

Hello all! I am here to introduce myself to the photo retouching community. By joining this I hope to learn much about the industry, develop myself and my portfolio, and hopefully help a few others along the way.

A little about me... I've been a graphic designer for upwards of five years mainly working in print production. I've opted for a more focused career change in photo retouching when I notice myself doing and enjoying just that extensively in my free time.

I am fairly new to doing this professionally and, like I said above, hope to develop my skills and get a foot in the door somewhere or learn enough about the business to be able to develop my own.

I am based near Nashville, TN and as a freelancer have been hit pretty hard by the economy, as well as the major flooding that struck this area closing many businesses. I suppose this is my way of branching out and finding new ways to accomplish my goals.

Wish me luck, and I look forward to my experiences here on RetouchPRO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Re: Hello from Nashville, TN!

hello fellow nashvegan - this is indeed a great site, I'm a full time shooter who does his own retouching and I have learned MOUNTAINS of info here, enjoy your stay
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

Good to hear that there is a lot to learn here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Hi Tchel, and welcome!

I spent a year in Nashville in 1997. Very cool city! I did some before-and-after photos of local scenes there and really enjoyed it.

I followed the story of the flooding from here in CA. I used to work upstairs in a building on 2nd Ave (it seems Beer Sellar is at that location next to Church St.), so I know that river area well.

I know Nashville was (is?) a big publishing center, but good luck in your new adventure in retouching! Maybe you can reach out to a larger (ie, non-local) audience via the web.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM

Wow! I took a look at the pictures. I've grown up all my life here and of course knew a lot of the Nashville buildings were very old and historic, but to see it side by side like that is awesome.

And about reaching out... that would be awesome to be able to do so. Like I said, I know very little about the business part. Though I have been told repeatedly that success comes from networking. The one thing I am not very skilled at haha.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Patron

It's a very historical town for sure. The sad thing is, there were many more pre-Civil War era buildings such as those on 2nd Ave. a little further up the hill, but "urban renewal" in the '60s got rid of them in favor of the river bridge offramp or other such project. I think this is a photo of some of those buildings, which used to be located around a square.

By some miracle I was given permission to bring my 35mm camera, tripod and lights into both the state archives and city library and copy as many photos as I wanted! So I've got quite a collection on film.

Back in 2002 I used some alternate Nashville before-and-afters in a different ezine I used to publish (grab the PDF here).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nashvillegone.jpg (80.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 10-26-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Patron

And here is a photo which (IIRC) is one of the oldest of the town, and a screenshot of part of the collection I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nashvilleoldest.jpg (93.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nashvillesheet.jpg (88.0 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon