RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Photo play on an iPad

Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Photo play on an iPad

Hi, I used to be a regular here but then life got in the way and I stopped doing any photo editing.

Now I have time again and I have an iPad and I'm raring to go.

I searched and didn't find many iPad related threads so I thought I'd start one and see if there is any interest.

I've purchased a bunch of drawing apps and I'm figuring out if I can fake Photoshop- like effects, but so far only limited success. My low success rate is due to my lack of skill in Photoshop and the absence of artistic ability rather than any shortcomings in the iPad or available apps.

So, am I alone? Or are there others here who are also exploring this new gadget?

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Janitor

Re: Photo play on an iPad

I have a bunch of apps on my iPad, but haven't tried anything photographic. The lack of pressure sensitivity might be a problem. But there are a ton of special-effect type photo apps. It helps to widen your search to include iPhone apps.

I'm considering the onOne app that lets you control your camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM

I have ArtRage and Sketchbook. Artrage is better with layer effects and combining photos into double exposures. Sketchbook has more brushes so it's better for painting.

other thread.

A dropbox account is probably a good idea to pass the drawings to your PC for further editing...

HTH

Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Margaret - Welcome back! After you started teaching your Photoshop classes on TV, you didn't have enough time to visit.

As for your thread subject - I just bought myself an iPod touch as an early Christmas present, and it's the first one I've ever had. I can only afford to drool over the iPad, so I won't be trying any graphic effects.

Best of luck with your iPad art !
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasturtium View Post
I have ArtRage and Sketchbook. Artrage is better with layer effects and combining photos into double exposures. Sketchbook has more brushes so it's better for painting.

other thread.

A dropbox account is probably a good idea to pass the drawings to your PC for further editing...

HTH

Nancy
Thanks for the heads up about DropBox. I have an account but didn't realize it was a two way street from the iPad.

At last count, I've bought or snagged 15 drawing apps, and I'm slowly figuring out which ones are useful.

I hope there are enough of us here that maybe Doug will allow a sub forum in the future for us hand held folks to share ideas.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
Margaret - Welcome back! After you started teaching your Photoshop classes on TV, you didn't have enough time to visit.

As for your thread subject - I just bought myself an iPod touch as an early Christmas present, and it's the first one I've ever had. I can only afford to drool over the iPad, so I won't be trying any graphic effects.

Best of luck with your iPad art !
I was excited to see you still here!

The tv thing didn't go far. They wanted me to do another series, but then there were management changes and the project was dropped. After that, Mom's health went downhill and you can imagine how that goes.

You can play with pixels on the iPod Touch as well. There are some very good styluses out now, so the small screen is easier to work on.

I was hoping Santa would bring me a new PC, but it looks like that's not going to happen, so I'll content myself with my iPad.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 PM

It's not a drawing app, but a photo editing app - Photogene, and it lets you crop, rotate or straighten a shot, edit exposure, colors and color temperature, levels, sharpening, AND Curves (!). I've just watched a video review, but I'm getting it. The future is going to be interesting, I think - we'll be out somewhere shooting and/or drawing, then editing it where we are and then sharing our image with friends on Facebook - without even going home!

P.S. - Filterstorm 2 is another photo editing app reviewed on the Adorama TV site - quite powerful.

P.S. - after looking at some of the apps that can run on the iPad, and considering the wonderfully large sizes of images on the iPad, I am officially *drooling* again for an iPad.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 12-16-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Oh CJ, I'm doomed. I already bought a bunch of apps - so many that I'm having to go through them all and make a spreadsheet of their capabilities, and now you tell me about two more!

Thanks, by the way, somehow I missed those two and they look like good ones.

It won't be long before there is a real Photoshop out there. Most of the functions I learned to use are available for the iPad but in separate apps. Now we just need someone to put them all together.

Exciting things are coming.

When I first got my iPad, I had buyers remorse for a long time and only used it to play solitaire. Then my granddaughter's computer quit and I gave her mine which forced me to use the iPad for everything. Now I don't know how I managed without it.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon