Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New to forum

Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 PM
New to forum

found your site will searching for tutorials on retouching photographs. I aspire to be a professional photographer, but it seems you cannot just take pictures you must learn to edit them to the clients liking. I hope to find this site useful and instructive to meet this end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Re: New to forum

atest4y, welcome to RetouchPro. Hopefully you will find editing your images as satisfying as you find photographing them. You will find lots of help here when you get stuck. Enjoy your visits.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM

I don't do professional work, but based on what I have read elsewhere "the pros" do their very best to "get the photos right" when they are taken (color, lighting, focus, cropping, etc.) Time in front of a monitor is time away from taking photos.

For example it may only take a few minutes to adjust lighting or be sure reflections/shadows, poses, etc. are correct before a photo is taken, whereas in severe cases it could take hours to make "corrections" or adjustments using computer software.

If I were in your position I would seriously consider prioritizing the photography skills. Besides surfing sites like this one...If you haven't yet, talk face-to-face (not via e-mail or forum posts) to some existing pros to get their first hand opinions.

You might find the discussion in the following thread insightful:

Good luck as you progress in your career.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-12-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

The phrase "edit them to the clients liking" is loaded! What they think looks good, you may not (and vice-versa). Be willing to subject your own aesthetic opinions to those of the paying client (he wants a blue and orange color scheme, that's what you give him).

Depending on the subject and the nature of the job, the sought-after results might not even have to accurately reproduce the original subject (ie, creative ad campaigns)! Or you might have to remain strictly faithful to the subject (executive portraiture, etc.), who knows. So your goal is to develop the skills to be flexible not only when shooting (getting it right in the camera, as Danny noted), but also when post-processing (a double-whammy of technical preparation and training).

I wonder how many photographers have mastered both ends of the image capture process? Either one requires a huge time and learning commitment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM

Welcome aboard
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon