RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New here

Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM

New here

I am taking the forum's introductory advise and logging in here to introduce myself. My name is Dan and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA, USA. About myself, well let's see...

I began my career as a Designer (didn't everyone?) and moved onto positions as Art Director, Creative Director and Operations Manager - but my real passion is Retouching!

I am a production artist at heart. I enjoy making someone else's vision come to fruition. I am most comfortable being at the completion stage of the creative/production process and after 20 years of digital retouching experience (from proprietary workstations to today's desktop Photoshop environment) - there are fewer and fewer challenges that seem beyond my capabilities.

That being said, I am always looking to refine my technique and skillsets. Everyday, I seem to learn something new or a new simpler, perhaps better way to do things - and I hope to learn some new tricks here.

GO STEELERS!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Re: New here

Welcome DG - looks like we had the same career path! What system did you work on before the Mac became useful? And are Steelers football or baseball.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Hey Repairman! Thank you.

My Gosh… many names come to mind. Crosfield, Hell, DS, Dicomed, Scitex, Creo, MacDonald Detwiler and even Kodak. I actually started with film recorders and a Dicomed Imaginator with a Crosfield scanner, then migrated fully to a Crosfield plaform - Scanners, Colorspace Retouch workstation and a 9500 page planner (sort of a predecessor to PageMaker, Quark, and later InDesign). I did most of my earlier retouching on an Imaginator and a Crosfield Colorspace. I also worked on a workstation that Kodak made - I think it was called a Premier, and a Scitex Blaze. I am thinking that if you rode the digital wave like I did then all these names are familiar to you!!! What a ride it's been!!!

The Steelers are our (Pittsburgh) football team. They are playing in the 45th SuperBowl in a couple of days!! Thanks again for the welcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 AM

Oh man, those names ring some bells. My pal was a Crosfield demo/trainer and as I worked for Quantel on the paintbox we used to rib each other all the time. I remember all the systems cost big bucks and all of them had some serious weakness - handling black was always a problem for real time manipulation. Kodak didn't quite make the most of their knowledge base and are now a shadow of their former selves. Curiously they seemed to miss the digi camera wave aswell. Like IBM, I think they thought themselves too big to fail. LOL, their sales guys always dressed like evangelists, or the Feds, I recall. Great days though.
Hope your team gets the result you're hoping for - suppose you'll be having few cold ones to help the day go by! Cheers for now...
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Welcome, Dan. Glad you found us. Looks like you have a lot of experiences and knowledge to share. We like people like you!

In an effort to keep things "Fair and balanced" around here, so "Go Pack!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Thank you Danny! Yes... I probably have some experience to share and the gray hairs to go along with it, but I am also always in a learning mode. And I am seeing some interesting things here already. Nobody every knows everything - and when you think you do - you are falling behind quickly!!! Repairman and I have seen some interesting things evolve along the journey to today's desktop platform. I remember the days when you could only open 1024 x 768 pixel frames at a time, and to tile to the next frame (whether you made any changes or not) took a good 2-3 minutes (which seemed like an hour) with a mind-teasing green screen paint down that taunted you before refreshing to the next pane. And these machine had names like "blaze" and such - not to mention they cost a quarter of a million dollars. Thanks again for the warm welcome!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Wait a minute... "GO PACK?" I missed that on first read... I guess that is fair enough. Hope it is a fun and entertaining game!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon