RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Sad news today for my Dad.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Patron

Sad news today for my Dad.

I don't know why I don't have tears; maybe have gotten too cold over the years, but my Dad's still crying. His boy (his cat Cat; he calls kitten. We never gave him a name other then that and my Dad's had him since 1997) has to be put to sleep today due to complete kidney shutdown. We thought he died yesterday, but he came out of his hiding place real late last night. Took him to the Vet this morning and just found out the news. I guess typing this is more for me then my Dad, but still I hope I and my boy Socks will help him though this. I don't know what I would do if something happens to my boy (Socks). Anyway, sorry I had to share this. It's the way that I cope with things I guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Re: Sad news today for my Dad.

Sorry to hear the sad news, Lyle. Went through this in October 2009 with my 16 year old baby cat. We still miss him a lot, but time will dry the tears.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Patron

Appreciate the words Amica. Guess I'm not as cold hearted afterall. Went to the Vet to pay them and pick up his carrier (use the same one for my boy) and when I picked the carrier up, I too started crying. He came to my Dad just prior to my move to Texas in '97. Mom didn't care much for him, but she tolerated him. Dad, of course, loved him. He had lost Boots when Hurricane Opal hit Alabama (believe that was 1995). Prior to that, he had lost a cat that my sister took back with her from Greece; he was already 11 years old when we got him and died 3 years later. Definitely sad to see them pass on, but Cat especially since we had him the longest. My boy's been a little wack the last couple of days, so I figure he knows something's wrong too. Again, I do appreciate your words.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Unfortunately this is a part of the obgligation we agree to when housing an animal. We will do whatever is needed to nat make them suffer....It's hard on us, but easier on the pet!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 AM

we always had dogs when growing up and i had a cat i loved to death later on. i've now been adopted by a stray cat here and he knew just what to do to get me on the leash. they say the only cure for a lost love is a found love. after a short period, take your dad to the pet store or a shelter or whatever or wherever and get him a kitten. he'll probably cry again but the kitten will take over and things shld be fine again
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 AM

Lyle, I'm sorry for your dad's loss. I've been through it many times with cats and dogs; I am sad to lose their company, but happy to see them no longer have to suffer from their illness. As Amica says, it's part of the obligation we take on when we decide to share our lives together. I am sometimes not sure when the right time is, but I'd rather let them go too soon than keep them suffering too long.

We can't replace a loved one, and your dad may not want another cat, at least for a while - depends on many things. If he does talk about getting another cat or dog, please point him towards a rescue that adopts out animals who need new homes - save a life while filling both your dad's and the animal's with love.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 04:42 AM

Lyle so sorry for your Dad's loss, we too went through it just over a year ago, and even thought we have a "new" cat we all still miss winnie, but she is remembered with love and thanks for being with us for 16 years,
As you know we have got another cat now as we missed ours so terribly, but it did take some time for us to decide on that, and Peeps is a rescue kitten, but there are lots of older cats that need some love for the last few years of there life.

Please pass on to your Dad our regards and thoughts, and thanks for letting a cat own him for that long,

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Patron

Thanks all. Dad definitely grieved (still grieving) for his boy; didn't really eat much last night either. My boy (cat Socks) nudges him and he does love him too, but Dad's cat was a strong companion for well over 14 years. Tough, especially since it was the first day of Spring too. I definitely will miss my belly visits (he use to jump on top of my belly when I am in bed) for sure; my boy doesn't really do this much, but I do pick him up and he likes to lay on my lap. Dad says he doesn't want to get a cat for fear that my boy won't get along with it, but time will tell. Both his cat and my boy were walk ins; to the truest sense a cat picks and owns you and not the other way around.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Oh Lyle, I am so sorry to hear this. My condolences to your Dad. Total kidney shutdown is what took our 17 year old Vincent a couple years ago. The vet came to the house and euthanized him in my lap. (Not cheap but a bargain at any price).

Now we can't agree on a puppy or a kitten but my solution would be to get both so they can grow up together. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon