RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

so you think your pc was expensive...

Old 07-09-2002, 08:05 PM

Think of it this way, according to the inflation calculators, $945 then is equivelent to $1582.91 presently.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 06:37 AM

All the comments about old PCs made me think back to my MSc days around 86. I used an XT compatible PC to control my instruments (one of which measured nanoamps), did huge number crunching (took 30 minutes to analyse 1 set of data until I added a numeric coprocessor, then the time dropped to about 10 minutes), plotted graphs to the screen or a plotter (remember plotters?) or printed the data on a dot matrix printer. All the software fitted on one 360kB floppy. I think I had more fun writing that software than doing the actual measurements. It was written in a mixture of Turbo Pascal, compiled BASIC and assembler.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Think of it this way, according to the inflation calculators, $945 then is equivelent to $1582.91 presently.
I see that currently you can buy a 120GB disk for $180 ($1.50/GB) compared with $94.50/MB back in 85!!!

At this price, I'm not surpirsed that software can be considered as bloatware these days
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 01:12 PM

The programme thats been of the greatest use to me and saved hours of work is Norton Ghost and that fits on a floppy. Worth its weight in Gold !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigAl
(remember plotters?) or printed the data on a dot matrix printer. All the software fitted on one 360kB floppy. I think I had more fun writing that software than doing the actual measurements. It was written in a mixture of Turbo Pascal, compiled BASIC and assembler.
OMG - plotters!! I had completely forgotten those things existed until you mentioned it. I used to work on the HP BASIC workstation in the graphics area, so was very familiar with that output device. AND - the BASIC workstation was written in Pascal and assembler. Ahh - those were the days! Seems like just yesterday...

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 01:39 AM

Talking

I got a good price in the olden daze for a plotter that worked with my Commodore 64. I think commodore made it. It used tiny ball-point pens in the primary colors and black, and what I thought was absolutely incredible at the time was that it moved the PAPER to draw vertically while the pens did the horizontal movement. It was as much fun (or more) to watch it work as it was to see the final product (which was drawn on a paper that came on a roll and was just a bit larger than your largest grocery store receipt).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon