RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

cs4 and dng 6.3

Old 04-27-2011, 04:47 PM

cs4 and dng 6.3

Hi all! This would be my first post to the forum although I've been a member for a little while. This is a question for those of you who still use CS4. I updated to DGN 6.3 off the adobe site and since then have had trouble opening images after I work on them and close them. I spent the better part of the morning duplicating the problem with tech support and I thought the problem was gone. They thought the files had gotten corrupted therefore causing the errors. So I started with a fresh set of images and low and behold the problem is back. I get an error mess. that says photoshop can't open the doc because it is not a photoshop forum.

Thanks
Ka
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Janitor

Re: cs4 and dng 6.3

The release notes make it pretty clear that you need to have at least the same version of ACR as you do DNG. However, you can use the DNG converter to save in older formats (5.4 in the case of CS4).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Hi Doug
Thanks for the response. I wondered about that but when I spoke to the techs at adobe they said that I ought to be able to use 6.3. to convert nefs. But are you saying without the same version of ACR that I will run into problems saving those files? It seems to be an all round malfunction cause I got the same error with a file that I scanned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Janitor

The release notes say "will often be readable by earlier versions, depending on camera model".

http://www.adobe.com/special/photosh...ter_ReadMe.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 PM

In the dng converter make sure that in preferences the compatibility is set to ACR5.4. Also, make sure that you have ACR5.4. Another possibility is that it is a newer camera not supported with 6.3, which you'll need to go back and download the dng6.4 update which was just released 4/26.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks both Dennis and Doug for the input. Well I've made a right mess of things. I had tech support on the line again insisting that I should not have a problem with 6.3 but for the moment I am going to revert to the way things were (also making sure that ACR and DNG are the same versions) set up because I never had a problem before and maybe consider upgrading to CS5 sooner rather than later. I understand now Doug that reading notes on software is not unlike reading the print out the pharmacy gives you when they fill your RX. It's all about the language and the devil in the details! ........ Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudun View Post
....also making sure that ACR and DNG are the same versions
That may be your problem. The latest version of ACR for CS4 is v5.4. The latest DNG converter is v6.4 (just released 4/26). If you've tried to install ACR6.3, then it will not work. There is the Preference setting in the DNG converter that must also be set correctly.

What camera? There is a chance that your camera is newer than the DNG6.3 update and you need to download and use the DNG6.4 which was just released. In the meantime, double check your version of ACR and also your preference settings in the DNG converter.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon