Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The journey has begun into the world of Retouchpro

Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Re: The journey has begun into the world of Retouc

Originally Posted by nschiller View Post
And you think it is better to go with Epson rather than a comparably priced Canon scanner?
I did not say that I have no experience with Canon scanners therefore do not feel qualified to comment. What I would say however is there is no reason for me to suspect the Canon models are inferior in any way. So if the specification and price are right for you then either I feel with give you enough quality.

You did mention however 8x10 film and if you want to include this for scanning you may be limited (with my V500 max size limited to 6x6cm) - does the Canon scanner cover this size?

There is no doubt in my mind that a quality dedicated film scanner such as the Nikon LS9000ED will give generally superior results for work up to 21/4 sq. - problem is finding one and if you do the price is likely to be prohibitive. I know I was looking for a secondhand unit prior to purchasing the Epson. Ebay had some offered at the time around $2000!!!!

If you are going to be scanning thousands of negatives, transparancies and and reflective material then this is going to take forever whatever method you choose for archiving. Also the strain put on the equipment would suggest going for the sturdiest unit you can find - perhaps you may need to consider 'upping the anti' and investing in a drum scanner. Hasselblad make quite a nice one at around $20,000
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Hasselblad make quite a nice one at around $20,000
Tony, for this money I would buy Hasselblad with digital back (they have discounts as well) - this would be an investment for the future ...

If you consider you will scan each picture at least 30 seconds + manual manipulation - maybe you can be faster with your camera ...

I have a scanner (Nikon Coolscan V - 35 mm) and I have scanned my old archive. The cost of Nikon Coolscan 9000 (6x6 cm) was somewhere over GBP 2000 ...

And in this case when you need to create copies of negatives + positives of different sizes?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Filip, good points although I was only joking about the Hasselblad scanner I am with you I would rather buy the camera - if only I had the budget.

I understand also what you are saying about speed of scanning. I used to do copy work of smallish artwork on either 6x6cm or 5x4 of either reflective or transparancy on light box. Larger or more demanding stuff on either full plate or 10x8. It is certainly possible once set up to rattle through them quite rapidly. However even with the perfect acquisition you are still left with a digital file to manipulate in some way.

I know that the results from a dslr should be potentially very good and depending on optics possibly better than a flatbed scanner? But this maybe needs to be offset against which the OP feels to be the most convenient method and of course how good the final image is or needs to be
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Bottom line is I'm going to have to use a variety of techniques to do the job. Some images will be copied on a scanner; other shot through glass with a camera using a reflective white back (glass negatives) and then the larger prints shot on a copy stand.

This is a personal project for me so there is no deadline; the sooner I get going though the sooner I will b finished. Over the years I've been collecting and now I've gotten to a point where something has to be done with all these images. However before I can begin with the online gallery I need to digitize as many as possible; working on one theme at a time.

I used the Nikon Coolscan 5000 to digitize most of my personal 35mm archives and the results were amazing. Actually when I have a free moment like now I stuff 50 or so in the Nikon feeder and let it rip. Problem is I'm pretty much finishing up the slides and am stuck with the bulk which was either shot in B&W 35mm or color 35mm. And since I was never big on contact sheets I have to look through a good old lupe and do the editing the old fashion way.

Again thanks for all the advice and I'm glad I've signed up to Retouchpro
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon