Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Just a quick intro

Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Smile Just a quick intro

I just joined the fun.

So hoping to have found a wonderful place to network and learn as I segway from primarily being a modeling/talent industry photographer and writer to retouching for the industry.

I had a fairly serious double shoulder injury and was taken out of the game for nearly four years (back to work now my second year). No sympathy needed; I have my arms back and am thrilled to be shooting again.

However, my arms will never be what they were so thinking that it's time to have a "Plan B"in place and I really do LOVE all things Photoshop and beginning to think that a home business retouching might be something I would enjoy and that I could do even if my arms were to 'freeze' again.

I also publish an annual children's theme portrait calendar (with hopes of adding a new one next year with images more for the grown-ups -- tasteful, lovey, sensual theme portraits using model types).

To see the calendar, just go to

I am getting better at things like drop swaps and collaging (slowly but surely) and will add that to my services list as soon as I feel confident enought to do so.

I have a lot of learnin' to do before I go live with the new biz.

In the meanwhile, I look forward to networking with you all, learning from you (and maybe here and there adding something helpful to others).

Can't wait to begin posting work for critique.

Til then...Have a good one!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Re: Just a quick intro

PS The images in the calendar so far were primarily retouched by my wonderful artist friend, Sarah (she also did all the drop swaps/collage work that first year; I added the finishing touches; textures, portrait finishing, contrast/density tweaks, etc.).

By the second year, I was doing some of the drop swaps and all finishing work/tweaks. By the time the 2013 project rolls around, should have Sarah just doing the basic retouch work and I will take it from there (especially want to add more collaging, more IR work, more hand-toned looks, etc. and I want to do all of that myself whenever possible, especially since it can be hard to get what is in my head out into the world via translation to a third party, although Sarah is amazingly wonderful at helping me bring an idea to fruition).

I am trying to set things up where I do all but the most basic retouching on all my own creative projects but will stay with Sarah to retouch work for my modeling/talent client base (so I can spend my time on the calendar project and fine-art pieces).

Does that make sense? With Sarah at the helm for the day-to-day stuff, I have more time to shoot, learn and play (selfish, but the arm thing really made me appreciate that you may not have forever to get the things done that mean the most to you and I have a few fine-art pieces in my little pea brain that I need to get out and hopefully into a gallery before I leave the planet -- which hopefully is not for some time!)

Thanks for listening. Just wanted to be clear on the calendar project who is doing what in terms of retouching and enhancements. Have a good one!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon