RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Every restorer's most important tool

Old 08-11-2001, 08:07 AM
Janitor

Every restorer's most important tool

I am, of course, speaking of coffee. The elixer of life.

I'm partial to a Kona blend I get at the grocery store (I know, true afficianados will be cringing here). I used to make it in a french press, but it didn't make enough (!) and it got cold too soon, so I switched over to the ubiquitous Mr. Coffee (more cringing).

I did buy a coffee mill, though. A real one, with conical burrs, not one of those bladed chopper gizmos, so now I grind my own and keep the whole beans in the freezer.

Without coffee and netradio (another essential) I'd never make it through the simplest restore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 08:21 AM

I would have to say coffee in the morning (helps me wake up) and then by the time the evening arrives, a nice cold beer helps

~Vp~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 09:57 AM

non-coffee drinker

Doug,

I strongly object to the concept of “coffee” being the fuel that drives us all. My total consumption of coffee is one sip. This was only because you cannot condemn something if you do not try it.

Since my early childhood, I have not liked coffee flavored items of any kind.

I have nothing against coffee drinkers. In fact, I have been making my wife’s fresh ground breakfast coffee for almost forty years.

I am a tea drinker and I feel that we are always getting second-class treatment relative to coffee drinkers. It is rare when a restaurant offers us additional cups as refills, rather than being charged again. Also, we almost never get brewed tea regardless of the price of the restaurant. I could go on.

I think that it is fine that most people get a fantastic coffee jump-start every day. However, you should all realize that it is not the only game in town, or even the better one.

Maybe we should start of topic for “pet peeves”-----just for fun. I’m sure that I’m not alone in having very strange thoughts on many things. Just ask my wife.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 10:16 AM

Alan,

Sounds like you would be in you glory on a visit to Britian where coffee drinkers are the minority. We had a British friend who as for tea and almost choked when it came in a glass with ice and lemon. That's considered sacriligous there.

I love my coffee in the morning but here's a real cringer , I drink DECAF. How bad is that? If I don't, I usually am pretty sorry for it after a few cups and I turn into a human vibrator. Just can't handle the buzz anymore. I'm getting old.

DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 10:49 AM

Thumbs down coffee

Just Trying out the Bells and Whistles
I am very lucky. My husband has always makes the coffee( Don Francisco-Hawaiian Hazelnut) in the morning. He wakes up at 5 when he hears the papers being thrown into our driveway and I gratefully accept getting coffee delivered in bed sometime after 6 -hot,cold,stale-whatever as long as it's caffeine.( he prefers green tea). I'm more particular when it comes to the second cup or coffee during the day. I'll tell you a cute story. When I was expecting our kids-way back when- I was nauseated by the thought of drinking coffee. However, once they arrived I think I requested a cup of coffee before I even asked whether it was a girl or boy( we have one of each). We also have two grandcats but that's another story.Okay, time to get to work on the new challenge! Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 10:59 AM

good tea

DJ,

You are right about the English tea. I have relatives in London that we have visited many times. I like the way the English use a cozy to keep the pot warm.

However, there is more to good tea than English tea. I get some of my best teas in a great teashop in NYC’s Chinatown. Some sell for as much as a$1000/oz. Fortunately, it is so light that it does not cost very much. Many of these are not every day teas, but the are such a treat when you are in the mood for something special.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 11:24 AM

To Paulette,

Arn't you the spoiled pampered one. I am green with envy!! Coffee in bed....oh that would be a treat.

To Alan,

My favorite teas are actually chinese teas. I love oolong and a tea called gun powder, don't know if you heard of it. My husband likes Lapsong shuchong (?spelling?) but I could never get past the old shoe smell.

DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 02:30 PM

Okay I'll fess up...I'm addicted to cappucino preferably the english toffee flavor.. when I go to town I treat myself to the biggest cup I can get. It's just the best!... When at home though it's nothing for me to whip through a pot of coffee all by myself then on to diet pepsi... and no I'm not bouncing off the walls yet..lol.
I guess caffeine just doesn't affect me like that, I just enjoy the taste and flavor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 04:22 PM

Oh yes, arn't those capaccinos great? My favorite was the Mocha Grande until I found out they were like 400 calories. I started making my own at home and got my Mom hooked on them now. Some of them are more like desserts. I shouldn't have read that one cause now I want one.

DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2001, 11:45 PM

Coffee

Oh!

The very, very best is good thick Cajun chickory coffee....First Choice, French Market, second Cafe du Monde, and any other chicory blend follows.

We are total addicts here at the "cathouse."

Farron
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon