RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Anyone know much about New Mexico?

Old 07-17-2002, 09:05 PM

Thanks Ed! I doubt even I could get lost going out there...I just get on Interstate 40 here in Raleigh and drive west until i get to Santa Fe.. can't get much easier than that!

Danny - I found some info on the balloon festival you mentioned. It's the "Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta" and it's held in October! There are some wonderful images on their website...

http://www.aibf.org/index.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 10:32 PM

Hey, that baloon fest would be worth seeing. They had one here once several years back and it was a site to see. I woke up to some strange noises and looked out in the yard to find the skys filled with hundreds of colorful hot air baloons. I was snapping pictures like crazy. Later I found out many had landed in canals, on roadways and even on top of peoples homes. Never had another one after that. Sounds like you have some adventures in store for you Greg. Keep us informed.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 02:34 AM

Greg C...

RE: Canon AE-1
Wore out my first one; still have my second one...but now use a Nikon 35mm. Got it as a gift a couple years ago from my wife mostly because it had autofocus, which compensated for my non-autofocus eyeballs.

RE:"Albuquerque"
Yeah, that's the place. Go figure on the spelling of that city, huh?

When you get to the point where you can spell "Albuquerque" w/o looking, then you'll know the transplant has officially begun!

Perfect timing on getting moved and settled in time for the gig this year. Thx for sending the link.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 07:53 AM

Greg -- how exciting!

Being a southwesterner, I'm betting that you'll love New Mexico and Santa Fe in particular. My mother grew up in New Mexico, so we've always felt tied to the "Land of Enchantment" -- I hope that you'll be enchanted also.

Here are some links you may find useful:

New Mexico has clear skies for astronomers
Sugarite Park
New Mexico State Parks - NE sections

There are strict water restrictions, however --
Drought - water conditions

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 10:57 AM

Greg - I think you're going to love Santa Fe! Very nice city - and very near Taos, another artists' mecca. It'll be scorching hot (but no humidity) during the day at this time of the year, but it should cool off nicely at night - esp. if you're going to be in the mountains outside the city.

Good luck on your new venture. Sounds exciting!

Jeanie

P.S. Bob, don't feel bad about missing the "New". When I read this thread at first, I thought it was a discussion about Mexico too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 12:00 PM

DJ - I have never been in a balloon but I think I will finally have the chance!

Danny - I have to copy and paste "Albuquerque"! I got my AE1 in college and have never wanted another camera. Granted, it does not have all the gizmos of other cameras but I like the fact that I can leave everything on manual and have total control. I'm not the greatest photographer, but I love the results I get from that camera! I wish I had more lenses though...I have a 28mm f2.5 and 50mm f1.4 ...know anywhere that sells old Canon FD lenses?

CJ - I have an uncle who lives in northern Arizona and he seems to love it and says the same about New Mexico. I'll have to ask your advice on places to go in Arizona when I travel over that way! You are right about clear skys for astronomers. One of the first places I want to go is the VLA (Very Large Array). It's the worlds largest radio telescope...anyone seen the movie "Contact"?

Jeanie - An "artist's mecca" is what I need!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
[B]DJ - I have never been in a balloon but I think I will finally have the chance!

Danny - I have to copy and paste "Albuquerque"! I got my AE1 in college and have never wanted another camera. Granted, it does not have all the gizmos of other cameras but I like the fact that I can leave everything on manual and have total control. I'm not the greatest photographer, but I love the results I get from that camera! I wish I had more lenses though...I have a 28mm f2.5 and 50mm f1.4 ...know anywhere that sells old Canon FD lenses?
I only got my 28mm a couple yrs ago for $60, I don't think the FDs will die too soon. Go on line, or look at small private stores. There are also large catalog outfits.
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 01:33 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
[B I like the fact that I can leave everything on manual and have total control. ...know anywhere that sells old Canon FD lenses? [/B]
I used to have the AE-1 too. My memory might be failing, but isn't that camera either (your choice) an aperture or shutter priority? I don't remember it as having the ability to set both the aperture and shutter speeds on the same exposure. In other words total manual control. ??? Re: Canon FD lenses...give ebay a try. You might get lucky.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 PM

Ed- Actually I have an AE1 Program.

It has a full program mode - set the shutter dial to "Program" and the lens to "A" (or green dot)

For shutter priority you just move the shutter dial from "Program" to whatever speed you want and leave the aperture to "A".

For total manual control you move the shutter speed dial off "program" And move the Aperture ring off "A" and set to whatever f-stop you want...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 04:58 PM

Well, I do hope you have a good time there. I recently vacationed in Roswell and it was a good deal of fun (for the week I was there).

Did the Route 66 thing as well. (I LOVE seeing New Mexico Scenery at 110mph, it hardly moves )

Some AWESOME photography sites would be The Caverns over in Carlesbad. If you go into the caves, definitely take some long term exposure and a tripod. The Bats flying out of there is an awesome site.

Rick
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon