RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Anyone know much about New Mexico?

Old 07-18-2002, 09:01 PM

Well, if you're going to go check out AZ - first, say "hi" to my sis who lives in Phoenix... LOL

Then, go to Jerome. It's one of the coolest places in the whole state IMHO. It's an old mining town on the top of a mountain. It's now a sort of artsy/antique type of place. The scenery is beautiful - you go all the way up on switchback roads with wonderful scenic vistas. And in Jerome (at least when I was living in AZ) there are some neat old buildings that have decayed and have plants and things growing into them. I just thought it was a beautiful place....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 04:43 PM

Thanks Jeaniesa. Having company when a mistake is made is very comforting.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 05:59 PM

Bob - Don't worry...I'll probably make my way down to Mexico one of these days...for the food, not the water!

Rick - I doubt my little Honda can handle 110mph! I have heard all about Carlsbad! I'm going to try to make it down there before the bats leave for the winter.

Jak - Thanks for the tip. I'm keeping a list of all the places I want to go...it's hard because there is so much to see within a one or two day drive!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 09:55 PM

You're going to love it in Santa Fe, I was there last week on vacation, lot's of art, photo ops, friendly people and great weather, although at this time of the year it's their "rainy season" and in the afternoons it clouded up and sometimes rained, to the pleasure of the locals, but I'll take that in exchange for cool mornings and highs in the 80's with no humidity.
So much to see and do, we only scratched the surface, I'm jealous.
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 05:54 AM

Greg,

The mention of balloons had me searching for some old prints from the mid eighties. A friend’s wife was wondering what present she would get for her husbands birthday and a balloon ride was suggested. It was a surprise present and he didn’t know what he was in for until we reached the take off field, I went along merely as a spectator but somebody cancelled and I took a ride. The predominant memory was the speed of ascent; we went up like a rocket and had a smooth landing only a few miles away due to light breezes. These two rough scans show A: the preparation of the balloon, the basket is alongside the van, I didn’t realise the balloon was inflated by a large fan blowing cold air into the envelope followed by a quick burst on the gas jets to bring the whole set up vertical ready for take off. B: Shows the balloon slowly deflating after landing, note the figure at left to give an idea of the size.

Greg if you get the chance to go up in one seize it, its amazingly quiet as you drift across country punctuated by the occasional blast of the gas jets. I’ve flown in most forms of infernal devices and after parachuting this was the most memorable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balloon.jpg (99.3 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 09:22 AM

The amazing thing about balloon festivals is that you have hundreds of balloons all inflating on the ground at the same time. So as all of them start to "stand up", you feel like you're walking through a forest of huge balloons - all shapes, colors and sizes. You can get some amazing photos during the inflation and initial take off phases.

I've never been to the ballon festival in Albuquerque (sp?), but a few years ago there was one here in Fort Collins (much smaller than the Albuquerque one). It was awesome!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 09:31 AM

Thumbs down New Mehico

Sure you want to move there???...you know that Don Imus lives there.

AH
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 10:55 AM

Chris - I'm definitely going to try arranging a ride...although, I might have to knock back a few shots of strong whiskey prior to getting into the contraption!...small fear of heights Things will be fine as long as the balloon ride does not combine with a parachute jump...

AH - Speaking of hot air... I did not know Imus lived there...I doubt we will be neighbors though!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 11:55 AM

Same here Greg I don't like flying but am strangely drawn to it. I've no doubt many planes still bear the impression of my fingertips digging into seatbacks etc. As you can see from the pictures the balloon was a 'jumbo' size so there were several people aloft in it. I wasnt too impressed with the small holes in the basket floor though !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 01:52 PM

Exclamation Hot Air

Greg...

If you get the opportunity check out the Imus show...it's a hoot on TV !! He broadcasts from his ranch in NM, and he wears a godawful looking cowboy hat with all that hair sticking out.

It comes on from 6 to 7 AM (EST) on MSNBC.

Good Luck on your move...never lived there, but hear that NM is just beautiful!

AH

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon