Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Anyone know much about New Mexico?

Old 07-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by fugitive
I'm too old to follow my dreams that way.
I have been to your neck of the woods and loved it. If I lived there I wouldn't want to leave.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2002, 08:45 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hey Greg!

Glad to see you made it okay. Have you had a chance to see much yet?

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 08:46 AM
Thanks Ed! The trip out was fun...watching the landscape slowly change as I drove was interesting. I got the chance to wander around Santa Fe yesterday and was amazed at the city. Very alive, full of color and LOTS of art galleries! The hardest thing so far has been adjusting to the climate. Coming from the south, I'm used to 90% humidity! I have to drink water all the time here or I'll dry out like a raisin.

This weekend we are planning a day trip (if it's open) to Bandalier National Monument which is just south of where I am, so I should hopefully get some nice photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Greg, glad you had an enjoyable trip, and also glad that you're drinking enough WATER.

While you're on your day trip, you might want to stop at San Ildefonso pueblo or one of the others in the area -- if you have any interest in Native American pottery. San Ildefonso was famous for beautiful black on black pottery, while Santa Clara has blackware, redware, and polychrome, and Acoma is famous for geometric designs (and very fine lines, as I remember from Anthro classes).

Here's a link to give you a taste:
Pueblo Pottery

(P.S. If you go to a pueblo, be careful to ask before taking any photographs, and be ready to pay for the privilege.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks CJ...I love all types of pottery, even learned how to throw pottery in school! The interesting thing about some of the Native American pottery (white on black, black on black, etc...) is it's resemblance to some Greek and African designs. It's cool how cultures so far apart and seemingly different can often share similar symbols and designs.

I read all about Pueblo rules and's like visiting another country, so it pays to observe the rules!
Reply With Quote top
Talking New Mexico

Absolutely the most beautiful place you will ever see, now maybe not Albuquerice or however you spell but Santa Fe and Taos are to die for, unlimited art, culture, music and the food, oh my god, I have to go right now for a visit. You will be overwhelmed and if you ski, Taos is superb. There is also a fabulous art/design center school there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2002, 11:49 AM
If you get the chance get down to the White Sands National Park. You will not believe the sunsets and sunrise there. Also great backgrounds for portraits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi Platscha and Bill Guy.
Welcome aboard. You both really make me want to head on over to New Mexico on my next vacation. I know Greg will be happy to hear any good places to see now that they are in his back yard.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon