RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Dave Hill "Shows" his layering - Quite the show!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM

Re: Dave Hill "Shows" his layering - Quite the sho

Regarding the size of his team, that's pretty normal for a successful photographer in a major market. Several assistants, makeup, hair, wardrobe (might also be in charge of props). Some of these people also have their own assistants. You might have a digital tech too. I can recall a few photographers who swore by the work of a particular lighting guy here but most of the time their first assistant seems to deal with that. That stuff is normal in terms of production.

I still think some insight on the planning/conceptualization phase would be a fun watch. I took a look at a few of the videos and you can tell he's shooting certain elements to fit into a comp, or perhaps to a few variations on a comp. With how specific they're being they must have some process for concept artwork and he has to have some way of coming up with this plan. I mean some of the background stuff could be figured out toward the end, but most of that has to be planned out. I'm also wondering if the concept artwork is coming from the ad agency side or the photographer end on most of these. The photoshop is something I can mostly dissect on a personal level so I'm not so enthralled by it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 PM

I expected to see his PS Layers Pallet. This was much better. Phenomenal presentation, really.

Interesting to see how much atmospheric schmutz he overlays over his subjects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Thread started June 2007
Thanks for the correction. Turns out I was citing the join date of the person who started the thread, not the start date of the thread itself

The point, of course, is that saying the photoshop is not important or the compositing is dissectable is missing the point. The point is that all of those factors, both dissectable and mysterious, have to work together or the whole thing doesn't work right. All of the greats in any field always pay closest attention to the basic things that others take for granted. That is one of the key things that sets them apart.

Not to say the conceptual stuff is unimportant, quite the contrary. But executing the fundamentals consistently flawlessly is the foundation for everything else built on top of that, we shouldn't minimize those things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 PM

*sigh* I'm not missing the point. The layering isn't anything new. Advertisements for television and film use this kind of composite work too. The storytelling in his images make them great and even if the person doing the photoshop work changed from one shoot to the next, the work would still be amazing assuming a talented retoucher who understands the style.

I wish he'd talk more about his process. I'd find it interesting hearing how he views things from start to finish. It was already obvious looking at them where he fit what together for the most part. The thing that still made it an enjoyable was that he made quite a presentation out of it with the use of depth to separate elements rather than simply showing a layer stack in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Patron

Ok, fair enough This strikes me as a glass half-empty, glass half-full discussion and your points are certainly valid and reasonable. Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Dave has a good video on his site: http://davehillphoto.tumblr.com/ about his processes and his methodology etc. really cool video.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Until now, I was thinking that Dave Hill was another guy. I don't know how old the video is, but I've seen another guy who's name is Dave Hill, working in Hollywood, doing interviews and stuff like that... I wonder if it's the same guy, older by now...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanegoldberg View Post
Dave has a good video on his site: http://davehillphoto.tumblr.com/ about his processes and his methodology etc. really cool video.
Thanks! That was neat. It gave me LOTS of ideas. Loved his drawings ;-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon