RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Windows 8 preview video

Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Windows 8 preview video

Posted by Microsoft back in early June so I'm a little slow on the uptake, but here it is. Quite a radical departure from the usual windows and file menu GUI paradigm. The tablets invadeth!

What do you think? Way cool or a misguided attempt to excessively overshoot what Apple is doing with OSX Lion?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Patron

Re: Windows 8 preview video

Happy with 7 so doubt an upgrade is in my future any time soon plugs. Still consider tablets toys too (a PC guy all the way) and currently don't see myself ever using such a device for photo editing, but I'm subject to change.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Patron

Lyle, speaking of tablets, I read this article this morning. It appears tablet and other mobile device sales far exceed those for desktops and laptops.

It begs the question, where is technology heading? I assume there will always be a need for desktops due to their sheer size for making layouts, editing images, creating mobile content, etc. But mobile is a huge shift in the direction of computing. And thus the desktop is starting to reflect the mobile device.

I personally use both desktops and mobiles (up to 27" iMac or iPad, depending on where I am and what I'm doing). I am not one of those who has a phone glued to their hand though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Patron

I would probably have a pad too if I had a job, but have been keeping it on the cheap (last contract job was this past April; sucks to be me. lol). Well, maybe I wouldn't anyway. I have a laptop too that I never use (it's old with XP, but still every few months I power it up to get its updates before powering it off for a few months; lol), but my PC is used very often and i can't even imagine trying to do photo editing and digital art without it. I remember how hard it was to depart with my CRT to get a DELL 2209wa (no regrets at all, but still like CRTs better) but my CRT was starting to show it's age (8 years at that time). Anyway, though some aps are finally starting to become available for these devices (including a version of DAP), they are to me still rinkydink. Not even sure if there is an open source editor available for these devices (you know how, despite having CS5, that I'm a GIMP (w/ some Inkscape) guy. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Patron

I'm amazed most at the disparity of prices between desktop and mobile apps-! There are quite a lot of excellent photo apps for iPhone/iPad. This along with the mobility factor should prove an interesting trend in future technology choices.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 AM

that is quite a change over win7. it always surprises me a bit that a company like microsoft thinks they have to change everything when they put out a new major version of a product. i wonder how many folks they polled to arrive at some of these changes and how many were influenced by apple's innovations, not to mention some of the other companies out there, like android and such. i mean, who's asking for some of these things or are they just the product of a microsoft guy who thinks that he has to change everything to justify his job. some of the changes look kinda slick but some of it looks like change for the sake of change. so, so far, i'm not real impressed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Patron

It's been a long time coming but the operating system GUI is finally breaking out of the old Xerox mold (menus/windows), though of course many will move forward screaming, as we're seeing with many OSX Lion users trying to get up to speed. But the flood is upon us, and I don't see it going back. Of course over time the approach will improve as the novelty wears off and developers all understand what is useful and what is merely show-off fluff (like Flash websites!).

Consider this: It seemed to be in early 2006 that we first started seeing demo videos for touch screen technology, which seemed so radical and far-off (I was going to say "untouchable" but that would be tacky [tactile]!). Examples I had saved back then:

Tactiva

Jefferson Han

And now everybody has such a device in their pocket!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Patron

Speak for yourself plugins. My cell phone is about as dumb w.r.t. features as I could find (not even a flip; just a squarish looking phone (believe it's a Sanyo, but I rarely use it and it's in the car which is the only time that I do; lol). A phone's a phone, a camera'a camera, a PDA is a PDA. Just remember, if one of the functions of these all in one devices stop working, you will pretty much loose all 3. lol

Yes, I'm old school when it comes to devices/gadgets. Not that I couldn't figure out how to use them, but I choose not too. I don't text; heck, I don't even myspace/facebook. My choice and hope they have a grandfather backdoor for old fogeys like me. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
...It begs the question, where is technology heading? I assume there will always be a need for desktops due to their sheer size for making layouts, editing images, creating mobile content, etc. But mobile is a huge shift in the direction of computing. And thus the desktop is starting to reflect the mobile device....I personally use both desktops and mobiles (up to 27" iMac or iPad, depending on where I am and what I'm doing). I am not one of those who has a phone glued to their hand though.
I have not had time to study the features of the next Windows release. I am very happy with Win 7 and currently have no complaints and cannot think of any room for improvement. I am not sure that it is a good move for the desktop to reflect mobile devices utilising touch screen technology - at least for those of us involved in using imaging applications. So I assume that MS will be adding the functionality of using a touch screen as an addition feature, and presumably in the process messing with the GUI.

There is a school of thought 'if it aint broke, fix it anyway'. While this can be good and of course without it there would be little progress the cynical side of me thinks this is just manufacturers hype to fill their coffers.

For those of us that remember the good old days of film there seemed to be around a 5-7 year cycle with manufacturers competing introducing new film formats for the masses e.g. Rapid system, 126, 110, Disk etc. Now progress seems so fast it can be difficult to keep up - not suggesting this is a bad thing simply making the observation.

So time will tell if this new WIndows is the dream OS we need
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Patron

Lyle, I agree with you about phones! I recently upgraded mine a few years after I was eligible... And even then I just make a call every now and then; I don't get into the menus and actually do anything. I'd rather do all that on the computer. Plus I take a lot of photos of the inside of my pocket. Really!

Speaking of which, I sure hope traditional professional-level desktop computing remains with us in this rush to sell swish and swipe to the masses.

But it's not really up to us, is it? It appears that Apple and Microsoft will make those decisions for us (and yes, they are motivated by profit). Then there's always Linux as a fallback...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon