RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Princess goes to school

Old 07-28-2002, 04:46 PM

Just being a classic "bad dog" huh? Just takes longer for some to warm up I guess. Maybe she just likes knowing her place in the pack and in this setting she hasn't been able to establish that yet. Who can figure a dog's train of thought? Good luck.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 01:34 AM

We used to have daily 'dog parties' in my old neighborhood, and we found that MOST dogs "just wanta have fun". Dogs that were already socialized and used to being around other dogs and a variety of people were ready to play right away with any new dog that showed up. Dogs that had been kept in their own yards and weren't used to being around others took a while to get used to each new dog, but we rarely had any serious arguments. (There were a couple of skirmishes when an Aussie that was fanatic about retrieving had the ball or frisbee taken by another dog that wanted to take part -- but was seen only as interfering.

Ed, do you know what Princess would DO if she reached a dog that she was barking at -- have there been fights, or just aggressive barking and "standoffs"? If she isn't used to actually fighting other dogs, I'm sure that she'll get used to being around them in the next session or two and learn that it can be fun to have dog friends. If she's used to fighting -- that could take all of the sessions just to teach her to listen to you and NOT attack when she's being told to "Sit, Lie Down" etc. I'm so glad that you're taking the time and putting in the effort to help her change her behavior. If she learns to sit and stay like that Pointer you had, then she won't be able to be overly aggressive with other dogs -- until you let her up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 02:33 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
My mother-in-law has a small poodle, and Princess chases her around quite a bit. But she never bit her. We did have to break up one fight between her and my daughter's dog, who is also good sized. I talked to the trainer again Sunday, and he still thinks she'll be okay. He told me he's had a lot worse than her in classes. She did much better in class this last time, so I'm hoping for the best.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2002, 09:10 PM

Session #3

I probably shouldn't say this, but I had a pretty good girl on my hands today. She didn't have to be taken outside one time, and at one point she was within four feet of three other dogs. The thing that surprised me is that she was able to be controlled on a *very* loose leash that close to them! I gave her a star, and hung her paper on the refrigerator.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2002, 10:25 PM

aaaah you proud Papa you. Just when you started thinking she would be hard to get through this, she surprises you. Glad to hear you both are learning so well.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2002, 11:27 PM

That's great Ed.It sounds like Princess is really doing very well. You deserve a lot of the credit too because many owners just don't bother.
Our training has stalled at the moment because Junior has had to have an operation on his foot to remove a badly infected splinter. So my poor baby is all bandaged up and is in no mood for training.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 07:55 AM

DJ,

I hope I don't have to come back next week to tell you she is once again wearing the dunce cap!

Sandra,

Sorry to hear about Junior's misfortune. Hopefully, he'll be back in shape in no time.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2002, 05:41 PM

Ed, it sounds like it is going great!!! She may have occasional relapses but be patient. The end results will be well worth it.

Sanda, sorry to hear about Junior. Hope all is well.

Bob
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon