Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Has anyone tried D7?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Has anyone tried D7?

D7 is a Windows system utility that frankly scares me a bit, but also fascinates me (just as horror movies and looking off cliffs do). It appears to be quite handy, but powerful enough to cause some real damage.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with it? Is my fear justified?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Re: Has anyone tried D7?

Looks very interesting, but rather frightening. I think I`ll leave well alone lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Re: Has anyone tried D7?

general utility/tweaker programs have existed for windows almost as long as windows has existed. i've used several in the past. this one appears to be a little less about tweaking and more about utility type tools. however, i do see a couple items in there that could screw up your computer if you didnt know what you were doing. and i'm not even sure what "God Mode" for windows is. lol. but at least there's a way to shut it off again

the first thing you want to know about a program like this is, is it safe. if you trust the site it's on and the person promoting the thing seems to be ok, then hey, take it for a spin. offhand, in just casually looking that page over, i'd say the program is safe, meaning free of viruses, backdoors and other malicious items/entities. but, that's just me. and 'safe' here doesnt mean 'free from user error and ignorance'. so, if you dont know what a particular switch or setting or tweak or app is, dont touch it!

but, there are a number of things there that are relatively harmless and might help the average user. i'd keep it away from someone who only uses the computer to check his email or facebook, however. in other words, some experience is required here. and there are a couple of little switches there that could safe your life. i particularly like that he has a 'restore permissions' thing. i needed one of those once for XP and finally found one and it saved me having to wipe my system and start over.

the bottom line is, with power must come responsibility and knowledge. know what you're doing and all will be fine. dont know what you're doing and do it anyway.... poof! time to buy a new computer
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon