RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Major Pricing Change for Adobe Upgrades Coming

Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Major Pricing Change for Adobe Upgrades Coming

There are a number of imaging (in particular) apps that have been around a bit that can fulfill many people's needs (ie, layers, blending modes, shapes, support for plug-ins and such). For Photoshop, Pixelmator comes to mind (see an interesting though dated comparison here). Photoline 32 is not pretty but may well be the closest thing to PS.

For free, GIMP or Paint dot net. CMYK support is usually the sticking point for print professionals, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 PM

I'll probably just keep an eye on it until CS6 is about to come out. Adobe isn't the only one to try to go the subscription model route. Really it doesn't surprise me. I don't think this was a minor policy decision.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Patron

I'm a bit worried about 6 too in terms of my higher ed lab installations. Campus IT is now working directly with Adobe as opposed to individual departments making maintenance purchases, so who knows how 6 will complicate my life as an IT person... The last version we got ourselves was 5.5 and all went well in terms of lab deployment.

Speaking of subscriptions, I don't like that concept or cloud computing either. I understand the convenience intended by the latter (though it's odd we're returning to dumb terminal computing like they had in the '70s), but I like my software archived and available for installation LOCALLY. I don't want to worry about changing terms of service (or disappearance of service!). I'm also not comfortable with my documents floating around on Google's servers, which is why I don't do it (though I admit my email is doing just that...).

In a related matter, having to activate plug-ins online via an authentication server is enough of a PITA sometimes, but again, I understand why it's done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Patron

It is sort of bizarre isn't it plugs; I still remember the VAX system at the college I was attending. At first glance, it seemed cool and fast enough, but I still like all my data/applications local. Cloud's OK if you intent to to share files/pictures with others, but to do complete computing in the cloud is like using a VAX system on a more global audience. What happens when the cloud crashes; takes everybody out with it. Not a good idea, or am I reading too much into this? Anyway, I'm sticking with local for as long as technology allows me to do so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Patron

I agree; though it's not the case any longer, at home I was on dial-up for so long I needed EVERYTHING local-! ;-) And some people still are restricted online by necessity, as we discovered when OSX Lion came out and had to be downloaded and of course such folks got upset. Later on a flash drive version was offered.

I worked at a local newspaper back in the early '80s and we used what I assume were dumb terminals (illustrated below in a pic I took of my colleagues. Notice the under-utilized typewriter. The girl at rear still works there! That's a pneumatic tube at right, for sending items upstairs to Composing). I think the DMV uses our old terminals now, ha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terminals.jpg (65.1 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Cloud's OK if you intent to to share files/pictures with others, but to do complete computing in the cloud is like using a VAX system on a more global audience.
We don't really have the power or internet bandwidth to do that today. None of the current networks or hardware in place would be able to take this kind of abuse. Now this doesn't mean it won't happen within a few years, but it could really suck when you're outside of metropolitan areas. I live in one so it wouldn't affect me here, but there are plenty of places that still don't even have reliable mobile phone service regardless of provider. The companies that have gone to the subscription model charge quite a lot for it. The typical thing is to charge a fee equivalent to the cost of one upgrade as an annual fee. Yeah you pay less up front which lowers the cost of adoption for new users in some cases but overall it's quite a price hike. If you own a lot of expensive software it adds up essentially being forced into an annual upgrade cycle rather than passing on bad releases.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Patron

Which reminds me, our campus is also trying to do virtual labs. Let's run 20 copies of Photoshop over the network!

The subscription model as adopted by the major players can only serve to drive people to the independent developers, at least if the boss isn't buying or you can't write it off.

I've also heard rumors that Apple may one day force anyone selling Mac software to use the App Store or their software won't be recognized/digitally signed on Macs or something of that nature.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Patron

Playing around with Pixelmator 2 as a PS alternative experiment, which I don't do often enough. You can use a lot of PS keyboard shortcuts and many menu items are similar. Doing this piece, I used the magic selection tool while clicking and dragging it to adjust the tolerance on the subject's background, inverted it, then refined the selection, making it smooth which created the melting away effect. I next added Quartz Composer effects to the subject before playing with the background layer's color.

I was not able to find where to make drop shadows, and it doesn't seem you can use third-party plug-ins other than various Core Image units you can find online. Also, I don't see CMYK.

But if I had Pixelmator and no PS, I could still do a lot of creative and corrective work. Layers and blending modes are present, you can add vector shapes, etc. etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pixss.jpg (186.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pixelmator.jpg (106.8 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 AM

No cmyk support would be a dealbreaker for me. If it had that I'd actually look at it. Even if I liked it I wouldn't drop photoshop today. Right now I just need to remember to update at some point before CS6 debuts. so as not to get stuck without an upgrade path. It used to at least go more than one version back. They will probably annoy a lot of people with this.

For someone like me, I know how different blending modes, tools, and layer types respond specifically in photoshop. I know what to expect in general, so I don't see myself switching anytime "soon". It's more a case of I dislike the direction their upgrade policies have been drifting. The filters and plugins aren't such a big deal to me. It's the painting, adjustment, and layer toolkit.

Last edited by kav; 11-14-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Patron

At worst, CS5 will still serve you for some time if need be (if for some reason you missed the upgrade).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon