RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Major Pricing Change for Adobe Upgrades Coming

Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Re: Major Pricing Change for Adobe Upgrades Coming

there is a certain percentage of adobe customers that will always buy the next version. but, i have to say, this seems a foolish move on adobe's part. i like the idea of a tiered upgrade. that makes much more sense, but more or less forcing successive version purchasing is going to make some seek alternatives or to just keep their 'old' version for much, much longer. that starving artist that cant really afford the successive purchases is going go, 'let's see, spend money to eat or buy the next version of CS just to keep up... eat!'. but he might spend a bit to go from 7 to cs6.

the thing is, adobe isnt losing any sales by allowing a jump from 7 to cs6. the buyer who waits several versions to upgrade isnt going to pay retail anyway. he's going to go on ebay or some other similar site and buy it for cheap. or, he's going to wait for a deal from adobe and do it that way. i got cs2 for $150 and cs3 for $5, both from adobe directly over the phone. i then bought cs5 at the retail upgrade price. there are always deals. so, i've gotten 3 different versions total for less price than one retail version of a new install. there are always deals!

so, i have to agree that this is a bad move on adobe's part.

has anyone seen a feature release on cs6 yet?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Craig, here are some stories about new CS6 features:

http://photorumors.com/2011/10/31/ad...nshots-leaked/

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_suite_6.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM

thanks, plugs

photoshop for ipad. that's an interesting one. i already have at least one of their apps for ipad but it's a far cry from photoshop. i think it's a cut version of one of the elements versions. not real impressive, but a huge discount on price.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
so, i have to agree that this is a bad move on adobe's part. has anyone seen a feature release on cs6 yet?
Well I know for sure of one spectacular thing that will be in CS6 if you upgrade.................... the ability to upgrade to CS7 at a lower cost than full price which is what you will pay if you stick with CS5 and then upgrade to CS7 . Sorry, just practicing for a marketing job at Adobe

And kudos to those that are sending their customer feedback directly to Adobe.

Adobe certainly is making a strategic move with this pricing change. They are doing their best to pave a smoother path for those of previous revisions to upgrade to CS5 at a discounted price now. Whether this is overall a good strategic move for Adobe only time will tell. What I do know is based on this forum and discussions on about 5 other forums and personal contacts, (and what Adobe may not have intended) "is" that Adobe's move has triggered many small businesses to do some strategic rethinking on their Adobe investments. Alternative software may not be good enough for many of Adobe's customers. These customers are not just looking at alternatives. They are also looking at scaling back on the number of "seats" (licenses purchased) and purchasing fewer suites and just getting individual products where needed. Actually, for cost efficiency, these measures probably should have been done anyways. Adobe's move just brought it to a head. Adobe's new strategy may also create a vacuum for some customers that don't come along for the ride. Nature (and business) abhors a vacuum. If the vacuum is large enough it will motivate ways to fill the hole. We shall see.

Last edited by John Wheeler; 11-20-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 PM

Thanks, John! I had heard about the pricing policy change, but hadn't heard about Brian Hughes email availability - sent him my disapproval note. I'm wondering whether the large companies will be against this plan or whether they will just pass the costs along? I'm ready to just keep using my CS5 for a long while - just like my '94 Honda Accord.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM

I am also a member of NAPP (70,000 members) and their forums. There have been parallel very active threads on their forums with messages being sent to NAPP upper management about our concerns (very similar to ReTouchPRO). Just this morning Scott Kelby head of NAPP came out with an open letter to Adobe against new upgrade pricing plans and suggesting alternatives. This is great news and here is the link to his blog and open letter. At least some upper management listens to its customers. I hope Adobe wakes up and does so as well.
http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2011/archives/22903

ADDED EDIT: I sent a PM to Doug Nelson to see if there were some avenue where he could come out in support of his 230,000 ReTouchPRO members as well with some message that will get to Adobe. Now that would be really really helpful as an even bigger voice to Adobe.

Last edited by John Wheeler; 11-21-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM

John - you beat me to it -- good for you !!

Thanks to Scott Kelby for his "Open Letter to Adobe Systems" - I know that Adobe will listen to him because of his subscriber base, but wonder whether they will agree to make changes. Everyone concerned needs to add their voice to the email campaign to Brian Hughes (link above in John's initial post), Scott Kelby's Facebook post about his blog letter, and everywhere else possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM

We can only hope that camera manufacturers like Nikon or Canon are not coming with similar business strategy and we will not get forced to upgrade to every new model ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Patron

Like many here I have invested a lot of time learning CS5 (just starting to scratch the surface!) and over the years been loyal to the brand mainly because I felt that it was/is best in class. I cannot remember my first version but I tended to skip every other version ending with CS5.

At this time and until CS6 is released I cannot think of a 'killer feature' that I want or need (including the deblurring shown recently). So it seems likely that I will be content until CS7 released.

Having said that I am in principle against the subscription route and the fact that CS5 may not be eligible for upgrade to CS7 at a discount concerns me.

I do hope that Adobe can hear the wake up call from its customers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Patron

It was sort of worth it to me to upgrade from CS2 to CS5 (gpu acceleration, content aware, and a few additional cool tools though I admit I've not really used them much since I'm a GIMP guy, but $215 was a lot to pay for an upgrade so I don't spend money that often until I have no choice). I have no problem upgraded every 3rd like I did (started PS 5.5, PS 7.0, CS2 and now CS5), but to be forced to upgrade every cycle now doesn't make sense to me and I hope I don't get a cameral that requires a new version in order to use my camera's RAW file in CSx any time soon. Main motivation even using Photoshop is RAW processing and might just wait a while and just use Lightroom (as long as it's reasonable and doesn't require to upgrade every cycle) a few years from now. If any of you guys know of a reasonable cost effect replacement to ACR that's decent, please let me know; UFRaw doesn't cut it for me (yes, I have it and sometimes use it rarely, but it's no where near an ACR replacement).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon