RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Major Pricing Change for Adobe Upgrades Coming

Old 11-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Major Pricing Change for Adobe Upgrades Coming

If you don't like what you read below about the change, I suggest you provide customer feedback to Adobe (links and info provided near end of post on how to do that).

Just a couple days ago Adobe revealed on their blog their new pricing policy that will only allow discounted prices on upgrades for CS6 for only those that hold CS5. Here is the quote from that Adobe blog:

"For customers who prefer to remain on the current licensing model, we will continue to offer our individual point products and Adobe Creative Suite editions as perpetual licenses. With regards to upgrades, we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6".

Here is the link to that Adobe blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ml?PID=2159997

I believe that there are many Adobe CS users that will not be able to afford the subscription model, nor an upgrade with each cycle. I would encourage Adobe to consider alternatives such as tiered pricing based on users on older versions of CS. I think this a bad business move for customers and also for Adobe.

Here are some ways to contact Adobe to provide our feedback.

1) I have started a thread on Photoshops official feedback website: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...y_notification
If you want to provide feedback you can post here, yet don't forget to post on the feedback site/thread.

2) Here is an email for Brian Hughes a senior Photoshop Product Manager who has encouraged customer feedback including directly to him bhughes@adobe.com

I encourage all to post their thoughts and share this information with other Photoshop users by propagating this information to other social media on this new pricing policy. Adobe will listen yet only if enough customers provide feedback.

Netflix and Bank of America recently stepped back from some onerous price increases when their customers provided very strong feedback. Adobe needs to hear your concerns (all IMHO of course).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Patron

Re: Major Pricing Change for Adobe Upgrades Coming

Commented this already at the DPR forum. I'm a GIMPer anyway, and my only benifit for me having CS5 is ACR (better then any open source RAW processor that I've tried). Don't plan on getting a new camera any time soon and don't plan on paying $200 plus for upgrades every other year. CS5 is more then good enough. That new re-focusing technology (which I still am suspect about) would be a motivation to get CS6, but otherwise, what benifit will CS6 have over CS5. That's the real question folks will be asking. There were major advances from CS2 to CS5 (my last upgrade path). Still, GIMP's only getting better and so far it's still free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 PM

It looks like everyone is happy with this solution

Personally, I still use CS3 on my MacBook Pro. I wanted to upgrade to CS6 now as CS3 is not a 64-bit application and it is good to upgrade time to time. And to be honest I don't miss anything in CS3 ... And workspace within CS3 is much more useful for my workflow as well ...

Actually, I found the idea to rent software which I don't use every day as very interesting. But why are we forced to pay every month? I would like to see pay as go model, just pay for one month only. Yes, you can stop your subscription but you need to renew it in six months again (I thing I have read something like this on their webpage).

I don't like this kind of attitude ...

Few useful links:

Scribus - open source desktop publishing software (instead of InDesign or QuarkXPress): http://www.scribus.net/

Lightworks - free video editing software (instead of Premiere or Final Cut X) - The King's Speech - an Oscar winning movie was edited within this software: http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Regards,
Filip Zamorsky
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2011, 04:01 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Didn't Steve Jobs say Adobe lost its soul when John Warnock left? It's almost as if they're trying to drive customers away. I thought the lesson learned by Quark several years ago would have proven useful...

The good news, as Filip said, is there are alternatives that will take you a long way toward doing what you use Adobe apps for, for free or cheap. I've always loved Photoshop, but I have no use for Illustrator or InDesign (I've been using the late, great Canvas X for my integrated publishing needs). Acrobat Pro is useful but buggy. I never liked Dreamweaver, even when Macromedia owned it, but really like the (also late, great) GoLive CS2. I have on hand alternatives for each of these that are Lion-compatible (I use Macs).

If you're enrolled in higher education you may get attractive discounts on Adobe stuff, but with strings attached.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 AM

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...bePricing.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Patron

I wonder how Lucis Arts is doing. They went the extreme Pro route with their software. If they were successful, I guess Adobe noticed. Still bet Adobe didn't do a bell curve analysis for maximum profit to sell ration. If they did, I guess I will stand corrected.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Patron

Lucis products have a reputation for being the most expensive individual plug-ins ever offered. LucisArt 3 is dead for the Mac but still available for Windows (price unknown: "The LucisArt Store is temporarily closed. The store is being updated. The Store will reopen November 11" [which was two days ago]). IIRC it was a few hundred dollars.

Lucis Pro 6 ($595-!) is still available for Windows (32 & 64bit) and on Mac OSX Lion and PSCS5 (but as 32-bit only, which probably will not ever change: "Currently there are no plans to develop the 64-bit Macintosh software. Lucis Pro is not guaranteed to work in subsequent versions of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as there is no way of knowing what 32-bit support will exist in the future"). Lucis Pro requires a hardware dongle (extras of which are $60 a pop) and international customers must consider customs costs when ordering.

The way I understand it, the price is so extreme because the seller of Lucis products pays licensing fees to the actual owner of the technology (a university health center), subcontracts its actual development as a plug-in to a NY-based company and outsources its graphics and web design needs to two different companies. Plus perhaps because 10 years ago this technology was unique and they could get away with it!

The person selling Lucis products is a very nice and committed individual (I used to feature her products on my website several years ago) but I think she has become a victim of rapidly changing post-processing technology. For instance, a single preset in Topaz Adjust [the plug-in most often compared to LucisArt] can closely mimic what Lucis Pro does at 1/12 of the price without a dongle AND Adjust offers a ton of other effects that Lucis doesn't. FWIW, Scott Kelby reviewed Lucis Pro 6 and besides throwing a fit over the dongle, called it a "one-trick pony". (I actually have Lucis Pro 6 and never find a need for it. But where is my dongle-?)

But as I described above, the seller is trapped in a bad business model that she cannot adjust for current market conditions because of the obligations to those third-parties who own, code and help brand Lucis technology. I would not call this route "successful" – I can't see this being a tenable position for too long with all of the current lower-priced and much more capable competition. Going forward, Mac users would be ill-advised to buy into this outdated technology, so that market has most likely closed for good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM

They'll do what they want simply because they know people don't have a "good" alternative to the software they produce.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Patron

Adobe, you mean? But even there, free, shareware and commercial alternatives are maturing so Adobe really can't get too smug. Like the Arab dictators. The people eventually rose up and toppled them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM

I know but new software isn't going to dethrone them overnight. There really aren't any valid contenders to do so right now so we'd at least be stuck with it for a couple years. With CS5 you needed a minimum of CS2 to get upgrade pricing. Now it's a minimum of CS5 which is just really bleh. I'm wondering what the policy will be for those who upgrade to CS5 from CS4 right before CS6 is due out. Will they be floated or have to buy two upgrades back to back?

By the way what commercial alternatives did you mean? I really haven't come across any fully featured ones on the level of photoshop.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon