RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I'm in the wrong business.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: I'm in the wrong business.

The Beatles' "White Album" cover. Another bit of artistic genius.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicks2 View Post
AD Reinhardt did paintings of solid 'black' paint on canvas in the 60's [if you look close enough, not 'solid' black]. He was considered a genius.
Well, that proves without any doubt that we're all in the wrong business
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Patron

Someone at FredMiranda passed this link to a parallel thread on this topic. There is also a link to a higher rez version of the capture; still not worth $0.25 to me, but hey, who am I to question the buyer of this snapshot. I do have a proposition to the buyer though. I have some virtual swampland for sale if you are interested. lol

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1060005
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Patron

Well you must not forget that "Gursky is akin to a painter in the way he creates surreal scenes through stictching and digital manipulation".

I wish stitching and manipulation tools would be available to all of us how surreal would that be

"He also makes very limited prints of each work": "Another factor appears to be the piece’s rarity"

I too make very limited prints and they certainly could be classed as rare so I think I will start to sell them. As I am not known I should probably start at $1 million each - I have two available immediately, any takers?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Well you must not forget that "Gursky is akin to a painter in the way he creates surreal scenes through stictching and digital manipulation".
Have to agree. That grass + water + cloudy sky is surreal, indeed. Amazing. Like something straight out of a science fiction movie special effect. Wow!!!!

Oh, sorry.... ......that was the price paid for it that was so surreal! My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
I too make very limited prints and they certainly could be classed as rare so I think I will start to sell them. As I am not known I should probably start at $1 million each - I have two available immediately, any takers?
Great! I'll take them both. Put it on my tab
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM

This must be a joke? If it isn't then the guy that bought it is an idiot!

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 PM

there is an old trick that some have learned and learned well. it's all in the marketing and this guy has marketed his name extremely well! there isnt a single thing in those pictures on that website that makes those photos stand out above photos i've seen in these forums, but once you 'make a name for yourself' you work takes on a completely different significance. once you can say 'it's a Gursky.' and folks know that name it has gained a certain stature, the name itself, why, you can crank out the worst crap in the world and it will sell. it's all marketing. i've seen incredible pieces of true art get almost thrown in the trash while complete abstract junk gets hung in galleries and sold for large prices. the ONLY remarkable factor here is marketing. that's all. you see this all the time in advertising. a company will sell their name more than any actual product. Nike comes to mind as one of the best ones doing this. and the trick that goes along with this is pricing, which is really just another part of marketing. if you're putting your pictures up on a website and selling them for $2 a piece, guess what, you've got crumby marketing skills. jump them up to $200 a piece and see what happens. put them on an exclusive site and advertise to the right clientele and you'll be far more successful. you have to make it valuable by putting it somewhat out of reach. it's quite a slight of hand but it does seem to work.

the other interesting thing about art is, very few folks know how to actually define what art is, so a lot of crap gets put out there and nobody understands it, but it's got a good name on it and art 'critics' are raving about it and soon enough, someone pays a million bucks for a canvas with ape feces on it. lol. go figure.

so, if you're trying to sell your stuff, learn marketing and learn the tricks. it can be the difference from making it nicely or hardly making it at all to utter failure and heartbreak.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Patron

I agree with you Craig; so call me Krolsky already. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 AM

Art as investment. The point now, of course, is that it IS worth millions because that is what someone paid to own it. As Craig says, it's about all about perception rather than intrinsic value. I recall a few years ago that there was a huge fire at one of England's stately homes. The fire brigade crew were told to grab what valuable items they could save - they came out with TV's, record players, booze; completely ignoring the priceless paintings hanging on the walls!. LOL, One man's meat etc...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 PM

hehe, i like that, repairman. very good point with the tv's and such
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon