RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

A Day Made of Glass - Future or Fantasy?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 AM

A Day Made of Glass - Future or Fantasy?

I grew up with futuristic prophecies of video phones, jet packs for daily transport, kitchens with appliances that did everything automatically, and then later the Star Trek phasers, replicators, communicators -- hmmm, still waiting for my Jetson's jet pack, but a lot of the 50's / 60's fantasy future is here. When I look at Corning's view of the not-too-distant future, it looks quite do-able.

What do you think? Would you like it?

A Day Made of Glass (Corning Glass)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 AM

Re: A Day Made of Glass - Future or Fantasy?

That was a cool video. Great concepts.

A lot of this we have the technology to make (just need someone to build it and make the software – yeah, takes some time to do well). Mostly it is just large touch screens.

The tricky part is the transparent displays (transparent oleds have been invented though). Also, I don't think I would like a transparent phone unless they make that a feature that can be turned on/off...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Patron

I got the link emailed me around a year or so ago; it definitely is a cool video.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM

Cool stuff - but talk about information overload.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM

hi CJ,
actually what they show in the clip is already here it just we don't notice and take for granted.... special corning glass is already used in cell phone, monitors and such and used in conjuction with touch screens..

in fact most of the glass there talking about is what corning calls gorilla glass that was first made back in the 50's (but no market for it untill the 90's.. ... and look at the top of the page here you see link for gorrella glass 2 ( i wasn't expecting to see an add for gg2 here. smiling.)

other places where glass touch screens to be used... I don't about the refrigerator idea but ican see it in places and it fine.... I am just wondering if it affordable to most...

I am looking forward where in the next year or two where for monitor or a full wall size screens will be OLED fim screens... the already are producing them for your small device and even for clothing...lol. I don't if i really like that idea..

final note for geeks I guess: when it comes to touch screens there about a dozen technologies and most of them involves glass screens being part of the circuits.. a lot easier to clean...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post

...A lot of this we have the technology to make (just need someone to build it and make the software ...

The tricky part is the transparent displays (transparent oleds have been invented though). Also, I don't think I would like a transparent phone unless they make that a feature that can be turned on/off...
How about the "phone" that transferred info to the kitchen counter and to the office desk when it was placed on top of those - is that something that already exists? That was super exciting to me, and was something I hadn't seen before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb View Post

actually what they show in the clip is already here it just we don't notice and take for granted.... special corning glass is already used in cell phone, monitors and such and used in conjuction with touch screens..

other places where glass touch screens to be used... I don't about the refrigerator idea but ican see it in places and it fine.... I am just wondering if it affordable to most...

I am looking forward where in the next year or two where for monitor or a full wall size screens will be OLED fim screens... the already are producing them for your small device and even for clothing...lol. I don't if i really like that idea.. .
That is what is most exciting to me, Jerry - that much of it is already "here". I also figure the cost would be out of my range, at least in the early stages, but it would be wonderful to see implementation even if I can't have it (I'm still waiting for the iPad or iPad-like tablet to venture into my budget area). We had to wait a long time for video phones - even though they existed; the market wasn't there,I guess, even though all the grandmothers in the world would want to watch the kids from afar.

I still enjoy watching 50's tv on MeTV and RetroTV, and keep wishing they had cell phones when they were in trouble far from help -- the change in technology in my lifetime has been fantastic - almost as great as those who experienced life before/after electricity, the phone, the automobile and the airplane.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
How about the "phone" that transferred info to the kitchen counter and to the office desk when it was placed on top of those - is that something that already exists? That was super exciting to me, and was something I hadn't seen before.
In real life you'd need some way to tell the phone (or table) what you wanted to transfer (latest video? last photo? that photo from yesterday? etc...).
The phone can easily communicate with the table using Bluetooth, Wi-fi or some other wireless technology.

Here's a quick example from youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x_iLNIHHPA
(In this one they don't actually place the Phone on the table, but you can do that as well - I just didn't bother to look it up).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Love it, Chain !! I had seen an interactive table in a Bill Gates demo years ago, but somehow figured that it was just a video (may have been - don't remember the details now). Anyway, found an interactive table being used to show portfolio shots somewhat like what showed in Corning's movie - seems like the UK is working in this area?

Don't know if it's "a solution in search of a problem", but I find it so fascinating that I hope it catches on and becomes practical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
In real life you'd need some way to tell the phone (or table) what you wanted to transfer (latest video? last photo? that photo from yesterday? etc...).
The phone can easily communicate with the table using Bluetooth, Wi-fi or some other wireless technology.
haven't Microsoft developed something like that? Isn't it called "the surface"? I believe that they use a modified version of it in CSi Miami - You know when you see them standing at a table with graphics scattered on it, and then they "flick" it up onto a wall screen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VfpVYYQzHs
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon