RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The future of image retouching... ??

Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM

The future of image retouching... ??

Hello everyone,

I am wondering what the future would hold in regard to image retouching / manipulating etc.

It seems that retouching becomes more automated with all the new technology.

Will there always be a demand for good retouchers? Or would it change a lot in the coming years?

I would love to hear all your thoughts about this

Ben
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Re: The future of image retouching... ??

With the total demise of the print media, all models, actors, ... will be scanned holographically and computer generated into whatever pose, movements acting roles needed and transmitted to our brain implants and we can virtually "walk through" the scene and view it from any angle while it is playing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Patron

Steves wrong; why even play with real models for scanning. Future images will be completely manufactured by computer based on what the it person is at that time (taste changes over the years; it use to be beautiful to be fat for instances; lol) but I do agree that the brain transplants will finally make virtual dating a reality (saves gas and the formalities). lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM

hi,
well being a little serious , smile, there will always be demand for good retrouchers at least for the next 50 years..

a good retoucher will be one who not only accepts but embraces the new technology and one who can interphase with that technology ...
note: instead of a click of a mouse,,, it will be a "thought' don't laugh there already games out there than allows you to mentally move characters and shoot guns etc plus the military is already experimenting with pilots mentally controlling there aircraft.. smiling..

although many things are sort of automated now and in the years to come it will be even more so... however it still take that human to make the final decision on what the best way of doing something and to make final decision on if something looks good when it finished.

one example is myself... at best i am novice. and i may have cs5 which makes things alot easier for me to do and I get a better result than using software of 15-20 years ago, however.. the other people on here are by far superior to me and can achieve superior results from the ps technology than me..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks for that Jerry, But if everything would become more automated then where would that leave the FUN of working with photosop?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 PM

hi,
that a philosophical question. And that something that everyone needs to find for themselves... other thoughts
a. some people who are good at photoshop do not find it fun but a means to reach a objective..
b. some find fun/pleasure in the challenge of reaching the objective .. and this is maybe what attracts you .. how much automation can something like photoshop obtained to, where is no challenge in reach the end... will it be like the jetson where the hubby all he does is just push button a couple of times a day..?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM

There is always the draw of the next iteration or evolution of the present gizmo, or program, or process that we all either welcome or reject.
I think the distinction here is the goal of what one will be doing as it relates to retouching.

Retouching may be seen as the interpretation of the subject matter to meet a particular expectation, whether by the retoucher or a client of that retoucher.

Some among us here may tout that a final piece have perfectly smoothed skin, no splotchiness of the skin tones, and brightened iris color.
Yet another may have a wholly different perception and preference to what the end result should be.

How they arrive at the respective end result may be through heavy use of automated plug-ins (especially as they evolve and become "smarter"), or through the manual manipulation of color, layers, and filters.

Even in this technology-laden practice there remains the strong artistic finesse that in my opinion will be difficult to emulate by any technology.
It may come close. Really close, but even the "pressing of a few buttons" will still require the human interpretation of the subject matter and its alteration.

Any piece of machinery can churn out thousands of clay pots, each identically the same, each of the same consistent quality; the ones made by an artisan, with the individual idiosyncrasies introduced into each clay pot, those are the ones we appreciate far more.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon