RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Any iPad artists here?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Any iPad artists here?

Good morning! I've been gone for awhile. Other interests and hobbies took me away. I even tried making art with real mediums - pencil, watercolor, acrylic, crayons, colored pencils etc. I even spent a fortune on Copic markers.

Maybe I'm just easily bored. Maybe I was constantly disappointed with the results. Whatever. Too much expense, too much stuff to store in my little apartment.

Now I've decided to learn to use my iPad for making art.

Are there other like minded folks here? Do you know of a good learning resource for iPad art?

I have a bunch of drawing/painting apps, so any reference is good for me.

Working with photos would be fun, but I'm willing to start from scratch.

Ps. I'm very happy to see some names I recognize here. Hello Doug. Hello CJ!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Re: Any iPad artists here?

I've got all the apps but am pretty hopeless. Haven't really produced anything except doodles. SketchBook seems to be the most intuitive (to me anyway). I really like the way you can warp text in ArtRage.

This guy on DA is pretty amazing tho'
http://ehsana.deviantart.com/gallery/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 PM

I say don't give up on the traditional just yet. So much to try and it takes time.

One of my favorite exercises is 30 second sketches. Used to do them in 2 inch squares, but can certainly go bigger. You get 30 seconds to sketch something around you without looking at your paper. For me, it was great for no-look hand/eye and efficiency. My instructor used to be able to tell at a glance who I was capturing and in what pose rather easily because I had learned how to lay down the important lines first and explemplify meaningful markers. Cheap pencil on cheap newsprint.

As far as medium goes, I have played with a few and I know what I like. I don't care for watercolours or pencil, but I love watercolour pencils. I'm decent enough with brush and ink with some wash. I totally adore charcoal, but hate chalk. My absolute favorite and most natural feeling is brush-n-ink followed by some shading with charcoal. I love the clean, hard black contrasting against smudged, textured shading. But that's me.

I say set aside 30 minutes a day for a month to just dink around. Just go with it on whimsy and don't try to produce. Just play and practice. Some of my best work has been warm-up because I wasn't trying, and then my actual efforts lacked because I was trying too hard.

Just do whatever and go. You'll find your groove.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasturtium View Post
I've got all the apps but am pretty hopeless. Haven't really produced anything except doodles. SketchBook seems to be the most intuitive (to me anyway). I really like the way you can warp text in ArtRage.

This guy on DA is pretty amazing tho'
http://ehsana.deviantart.com/gallery/
Thanks for the DA link. I keep forgetting to look there.

The best app to suit me is Procreate and I have one of those aluminum styluses. I'm having fun with it.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
I say don't give up on the traditional just yet. So much to try and it takes time.

One of my favorite exercises is 30 second sketches. Used to do them in 2 inch squares, but can certainly go bigger. You get 30 seconds to sketch something around you without looking at your paper. For me, it was great for no-look hand/eye and efficiency. My instructor used to be able to tell at a glance who I was capturing and in what pose rather easily because I had learned how to lay down the important lines first and explemplify meaningful markers. Cheap pencil on cheap newsprint.

As far as medium goes, I have played with a few and I know what I like. I don't care for watercolours or pencil, but I love watercolour pencils. I'm decent enough with brush and ink with some wash. I totally adore charcoal, but hate chalk. My absolute favorite and most natural feeling is brush-n-ink followed by some shading with charcoal. I love the clean, hard black contrasting against smudged, textured shading. But that's me.

I say set aside 30 minutes a day for a month to just dink around. Just go with it on whimsy and don't try to produce. Just play and practice. Some of my best work has been warm-up because I wasn't trying, and then my actual efforts lacked because I was trying too hard.

Just do whatever and go. You'll find your groove.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement Stroker. I've put the art supplies away for the time being because I'm going to be entertaining and I don't have a separate room to leave stuff out.

My favorite thing is Zentangle - sort of - I tend to go my own way. I like the black and white. A Micron pen and some CARDSTOCK.

After my busy summer, I will get back to physical art. In the meantime, I'm finding interesting things to do on my iPad.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 AM

Artrage is probably one of the best.
Mobile Monet is good, but not really a sketcher.
AutoPainter HD is kind of interesting, but somewhat limited, like mobilemonet.
there's also these: Sketchbook, quickpix, Eazel is kind of interesting also. also look at photopad, PS express, phototoaster, color fx Pro, photo illusion, morebeaute2, filterstorm, photofilter and my sketch.
lol. i have all of those but i've only played with a few at any length. i'd recommend Artrage first and i like what mobile monet does, but like i said, it's not a sketcher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Thanks Craig. I've tried some of those and I like ArtRage. There are lots of good tutorials for it.

I found Procreate after I posted here and I love it. When you draw Zentangles, you need to turn the paper while you draw. Procreate is fast and zooming, turning and panning are very smooth.

I take a look at other apps in your list. Maybe there's a gem that I haven't tried yet.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Here's the latest my teenage daughter did with SketchBook Pro on an iPad 1 with a stylus, using 4 layers. Self taught too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipadart.jpg (192.7 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Here's the latest my teenage daughter did with SketchBook Pro on an iPad 1 with a stylus, using 4 layers. Self taught too!
Well done! I have Sketchbook pro, but haven't spent enough time with it to do anything arty.

I'm really liking Procreate. iDraw and Sketchtime are also good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

My daughter's fanart created with Procreate on the iPad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monaconosig.jpg (76.7 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon