RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Is this forum dying?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Patron

Re: Is this forum dying?

I can just as easy create albums that I can share with friends and family (and have) without FB plugs (using ImageShack in my case). More then one way to skin a cat. Not going to get into a fight with you though. Whatever tool you find good for you to use, you use. Whatever tool I find benificial to use I use. Everyone's happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2012, 12:55 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

So I guess I won't friend you then ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Patron

lol; well, here, we can be friends. In flickr too.

Personally, there will be another thing that will replace FB in the future and I bet it will be all Open Source when it does happen. I could be wrong, but my gut sees an Open Source future for social media.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2012, 01:27 AM
Patron

Ironically, I don't do flickr and the others... I use my own pix to illustrate software results on my site, that's about it (besides FB fun).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2012, 01:30 AM

Hello! Just my humble opinion... Since i joined, i posted two thread, all two had taken a while to be answered ( ten days the first i think, one week the second, which was answered by a new member). Being a newbie user, i can understand how it feels for someone experienced to answer the same questions over and over, but i couldn't keep my head from thinking " have i posted a question this dumb, or this uninteresting?"

I think this genuinely discourage new user to stay in the forum, i, being really interested in this field and having found some knowledgeable people which i talk via pm, i will stay for sure, but definitely someone else could decide to leave..

Aniway, i sincerely hope this forum continue to live because it's full of really good info and the people i have talked to so far are friendly and knowledgeable. It's just the forum part that it's a bit slow.

Cheers

Last edited by ste.vidali; 06-24-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Patron

In any field there will eventually be repetition on the related forums (photo forums, guitar forums, whatever), and eventually newbies will become experienced users who don't need the old info any more, and fresh newbies will always come on board (which is encouraging)..

Out of all the forums I gathered as links for my own convenience, I tend to gravitate to this one 90% of the time. I've seen a few of our folks elsewhere, which is probably normal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 AM

I hope the forum isn't dying. This is the first time I've been on in about a year though. I was on all the time for quite a while before that but just haven't been doing much photo editing lately. I've been putting my free time into gardening but now that it's getting so dang hot, I'm about ready to load the software I purchased and never installed and get back into the game. This is a great resource and there were some very nice people hanging around when I dropped off the radar. Hope they're still around.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Patron

The OP's question reminded me of a news or magazine article teaser, where the answer could well be "No" but the question makes people worry and read the story. Like, "Is this forum Communist" or whatever can get people going in the wrong direction. Right comrades?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2012, 10:51 AM

But seriously, the question is not bad or wrong. I really doubt that the majority of people coming here has a need for help or even a question to ask, so what´s then left for them to enjoy? One contest a month or some photo to art section that seem to have become all about turning photos in to a painting.. (wrong hobby maybe?) and seriously, most Photoshoppers out there would find that too lame for to even bother with.

So..apart from this "amusement".. then what?

It is a page with a lot of very talented members and it has potential, but sure ..it seem to be dying alright.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Maybe RTP needs a Facebook version!
That would be a great idea! I'd certainly join.

Lyle might not like Facebook but many of the rest of us have already moved into the 21st century

Seriously, though, Facebook can be very useful if you take reasonable care. And even if there are people who don't like Facebook, Twitter, etc. there are many others who do. Reaching them would be an additional touch point for the social media aficionados. It would take some additional work for the moderators, however......

I hope the forum's not dying. I personally don't think it is. Lately there have been times where few new posts or comments on older posts happen, but other days there have been quite a few new ones. This 'is the forum dying' question has been raised in the NAPP forums as well, more than once in the past year or so. And on PBase.com for the past couple of years.... So it's not just RTP where people are asking.

For me, I visit the site almost daily though I don't post as much lately due to increased workload. But RetouchPro is the single most valuable retouching resource for me personally.

Maybe a new look would be cool, as suggested above.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon