RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Is this forum dying?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Patron

Re: Is this forum dying?

Your vision of the 21st century Robert; not mine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

It's already here in full force Lyle but one can choose not to participate, that's about it ;-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Janitor

Registration is holding at a steady monthly average, as are unregistered visitors. But new threads are down, so naturally posts are too. So the same number of people as always are joining and visiting, but fewer are actually participating.

My take is we've developed a reputation as more a problem-solving destination than an interesting/entertaining one.

So if you want something to do, start some threads and get visitors engaged again, check out the Challenges, or write a tutorial. Post a Doodle project, or a retouching detective puzzler.

Everyone wants more to do, but not many contribute things to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM

There are some retouching group pages on Facebook, but they are small. People can comment back and forth about a retouching job or question, but FB isn't really set up IMO for lengthy threads. Those interested strictly in photography have lots of places to participate including FBook, Google+, 500pix etc. etc. I'm a member of a Facebook Nature Photography group that includes members from around the world who can upload large versions of their images for people to truly enjoy - something that isn't available on a forum.

FBook is definitely the place for anyone who is running a photography or photo retouching business to have a presence - it is hard to imagine a serious business NOT having a FB account and page.

It seems to me that there are always a lot of new folks coming to this forum seeking ideas, tips, training resources, and help with specific problems. I don't know whether forums will evolve into something else, but Doug's suggestion about adding something to involve the new folks is worth considering. Tastes have also changed during the life of this forum, I believe, and perhaps some of the younger senior members can think of things that might appeal to the young newbies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM

I just found you, signed up, looking for some work. I would have to say that the front end of the site is not conducive to communication. All the print is small and it just is not very inviting. Don't meant to step on anyone's toes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 PM

feeling lonely today
Attached Images
File Type: png lonely.png (45.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Group hug!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 AM

Personally I liked it when we had those weekly webinars for $10 bucks. Seems Doug was covering the world. We had some very interesting presenters. Not sure why it has dried up. I can understand participation down due to the oversaturation of webinar..almost weekly...but maybe monthly? When you stopped it was like cold turkey. Then you were going to provide some mini webinars...I've only seen one or two of these posted. I've also enjoyed the group trying to dissect someone else's work...Dave Hill was a long interesting post for example.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Patron

Some additional observations based on other sites that I am or have frequented. The Inn is actually pretty much closed due to financial issues since participation all but died there. Other forums have dramatically slowed down as well such as the Retouch forum at DPR's site. I can only speak to myself, but it's been very depressing to me when the economy itself is in such a poor state. When people are down, they just don't care to post. My gut tells me that that is what's happening. People have/will always retouch if that was what they were doing before, but to share requires motivation, and there's been a lot of downers with respect to that and it's not just RetouchPRO. Not sure what the solution will be; some new fangled way to render or share results (who knows). I still post, but even I pretty much am only doing so a handful of times at Retouch forums such as RetouchPRO. Do post more regularly at specific sites such as GIMPChat (not really a retouch forum; more of an enthusiatic application forum and many folk there post their artwork/retouches to boot). As Plugs said, it's time for a group hug (found one below; too bad we can only link external graphics).

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...iggrouphug.gif
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Thumbs up Re: Is this forum dying?

Maybe time for a comeback.

I used to be a regular forum contributor and even a patron. As a photographer and digital artist I learned a tremendous amount from this site and enjoyed sharing. When I joined RP several years ago it was extremely entertaining as well as educational. Then began a period when their seemed to be several people that only frequented the site to insult others and volunteer unhelpful, negative feedback. Even though none was aimed at me I didn't like it and didn't appreciate it being allowed. That negativity now seems to be gone so, let's move on.

Another thought: When I first joined, whether it was a retouch, photo-art, restorations or anything else, folks would not only post their work but would also share how they did it which was a great benefit to all. It was this sharing that I found so irresistible. Without this kind of interaction it becomes hard to set RP apart from other sites.

With that said, let's do this!

Alan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon