RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

My 'new' avatar.../...logo..?

Old 08-18-2002, 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

some things I'd like to add:

First of all, I've been a graphic designer for 5 years before switching to the photography/Imaging field. I have a decent amount of experience in designing logos and trademarks.

Although I have to admit that the shape has personal value and meaning to me, the major reason for wanting to 'try' this as a logo is because I believe it is a strong shape, that has lot of potential, meaning it can be used im many different shapes/colors/settings, while still being recognizable.

The 'shape' I showed you is just that.. a shape. meaning it can be adapted, refined, stylized to make a 'better' logo, or even used in this way as a more 'artistic' interpretation of the logo. perhaps I should have 'distilled' the shape before showing it to you. Maybe the way in which I presented it to you biased your opinions?

As for it being recognizable, I personally think it doesn't have to be... As Mike correctly observed, most logos of big companies give you no clue whatsoever as to the activities of the company behind it.
I would even go as far as to say that logos that actually DO display the activity of the company are often considered (in the design-world) to be 'amateur-ish'

The trend right now seems to be to have just some 'abstract' shape that looks interesting, and just let the name of the company speak for itself.
The power of a logo is that it must be distinguishable, identifiable, unique.
As Mike stated correctly before..look at Shell, for example..they don't make shellls, do they? But the whole world knows the logo. And Coca-Cola and Microsoft..if you don't actually KNOW what these comapnies DO, you can never guess from their logo(types).
And I don't think anyone would say "I'm not buying gas at shell, because I don't know why they have a shell in their logo..."

My current' logo' is not actually a logo, but actually a 'logotype' meaning an arrangement of letters/words that is recognizable and identifiable, thus functioning as a 'logo', whereas a real logo would generally be just an image. So I wanted to add a 'real' logo to this 'logotype' to improve the corporate identity.

Of course, added to the logo would be my company name, which does tell you what I do (photography and Imaging). But I wanted a shape that would be strong enough to make the basis for a good logo.And that could be used on its own, without the lettering. To replace the 'ampersand' sign , which was an integral part of my logotype, and I sometimes used as a 'logo' on it's own (my previous avatar)

The only problem I have with the image I presented you is the problem of reproducing and scaling. I'm not sure yet I can convert it into a vector format that would have the same 'organic' feel that the one I showed you has, and can still be printed in, say., 2 spot-color offset print...(the 'standard' for letterheads, business cards, envelopes...stationary, basically). And, as Mike again correctly observed, it won't work as well on a white background. Unless i make it black...

But I really appreciate all the feedback. Not just from Mike, who is a designer, but from all of you. because, in the end, what 'the public' thinks of a logo is often more important than what the designer himself thinks of it. Because I am very much aware of how damaging an unattractive or bad logo can be. I've seen some very big names/products fail miserably, because the public simply didn't want to be associated with a 'stupid' name or logo, no matter how good the product is...After all, why does everybody want to wear sweaters with HUGE Tommy Hilfiger logo's on them, while 'Granny's shirt and sweater-shop' makes exactly the same quality shirts at a third of the price, but nobody would want to have THAT name chest-wide on their shirt, now do we?

I'll be spending countless hours re-working the logo until I come up with something satisfying, and useable, or discard it completely. But, I will keep it as an avatar, because I still think it's a cool avatar.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, all of you!

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 10:14 AM

Sorry Chris I hadnt realised I was trying to teach my gran to suck eggs - anyway you seem to have a firm grasp of the principles so I am sure that you will succeed with the right choice.

Best of luck and keep us updated on how this project is coming along, I would be interested to see the progression to the final result. Only if you have the inclanation, of course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2002, 11:35 AM

After much messing around I've decided to abandon my avatar as a new logo.

I'm still keeping it as an avatar, though

The reasons I decided to abandon it:
- It's too 'oriental' looking. or: not 'abstract' enough
- By simplifying it to make a stronger logo, I actually found it became 'weaker' in appearance, it needs the 'jagged' lines and handmade look, but this is too restricting in it's use, I think..
- I don't like red anymore
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 06:24 AM

lol well thats just the way things turn out (more often than not for me) thanks for the update
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon