Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

My 'new' avatar.../...logo..?

Old 08-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Question My 'new' avatar.../...logo..?

For those of you who noticed, and for those of you who didn't, As of yesterday i have a new avatar.

it sort of happened by accident, but as some of you know, accidents sometimes can have very nice results.

I'm considering using this 'avatar' as my new company logo, since I'm planning to do a full re-style soon...

So, I'd like some feedback on this 'logo'

What do you think of it, what associations do you have when you see it. is it interesting, is it boring, is it attractive, is it ugly?

Don't be shy, be honest, please!

Here's a bigger version to give you a better look:

If you know what it is, please don't tell the others, I want 'fresh' opinions.
For those interested in what it is and how it was made, I'll explain later.

For now, thanks if you take the time to respond!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logo2.jpg (75.0 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 05:54 PM
I noticed right off that you had a new Avatar because you get to associate people on this forum by those symbols but I haven't figured out if I like it better or not. No I don't know what the new symbol means which might have some berring on the final decision on whether or not I like it. As designs go, it's cool but I'm not sure it really grabs my attention. Well, maybe it does now because you indicated that it actually has a recognizable meaning and at this point it alludes me. Guess, I'll have to wait to see the explaination.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 06:53 PM
I also noticed it right away. I'm a visual person, so I get used to people's avatars pretty quickly.

As far as feedback on:
What do you think of it, what associations do you have when you see it. is it interesting, is it boring, is it attractive, is it ugly?

I feel a little stupid in that I have no idea what the symbol means. (It makes me feel a little better knowing DJ doesn't know either. ) I think a black background sets it off better than the grey/white background of the avatars in the forum. It is certainly not boring - I keep staring at it thinking that perhaps I'll recognize it all of a sudden. And of course as I think about it, various associations come to mind. This is a little strange, but I keep thinking of something that I would see under a microscope. Either that or a "branding" (like they put on cattle). (Hey - if you ask what I see in clouds, I come up with some strange associations too! )

I wouldn't characterize it as ugly, but I'm not sure I would characterize it as attractive standing on it's own. It depends on how you will use it. One thing to think of is if you are going to use it on any printed documents (business cards, brochures, ads, etc), how will it reproduce in B&W - or will you always print in color? Or will you not use it on printed pieces at all?

Of course, once I know what it is, I might have a different opinion. The meaning of a symbol definitely affects my reaction to it. If not very many people know what it is, then it would certainly be a conversation piece - which may be good for your business. In any case, it is unique (to me anyway) and memorable simply because of that.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 07:00 PM

In a word (or two)...lose it.

Pretty, in a way, and kinda artsy, in a way, but I don't see it as it is as a logo.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 07:51 PM
Pixelmover, obviously it has meaning for you and is something you like -- that's the only thing that counts UNLESS you're going to use it as a logo for a paying business.

As a business logo, my initial reaction agrees with Blackknight - lose it. As a potential customer who knows nothing about you or your business, I don't think that it grabs my attention. It's unusual, but not in a way that makes me want to find out more about you or your business. (my own humble opinion ONLY, of course)

I'm another one of those folks who don't know what it signifies -- if your logo will be used only with people who will understand it's meaning, then maybe it's a keeper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 08:10 PM
As some kind of art, I kind of like it. I love a good puzzle and can see myself spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out what the heck it is... (I have absolutely no clue).

As a logo, I can see myself spending a lot of time trying to figure out what the heck it is. Perhaps wondering as I think, "now, if I have you do the work for me, will I have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the heck you did...?"

Logos (IMHO) should say something understandable and definite, in concrete and easily remembered terms, about your business. A bit like a synopsis of a good story - a small preview of things to come.

Is this what the future holds for your clients?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 08:40 PM
I don't know what it is either. But a logo, to me, should be something that makes me think of the business it represents. I think I would remember this logo. So if the name of your business fits this logo, then I think it would be successful.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Initial reactions (first impression):
Looks Asian or "snake like"
Says nothing to me about your business, or anything else really.

Personally, I don't care for it, mainly because I can't identify it with anything that catches my interest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 02:38 AM
I held back from this thread for a while, trying to gauge other peoples reactions. I make part of my living through designing logos and the ilk. Unlike most here so far, I see nothing wrong with using it as your logo. Logo's dont have to have some meaning in relation to their product, many huge brands have logos that bear no or minimal relation to the product. Really the most important part is, does it stand out? Is it memorable? Strong abstract shapes work as well if not better. Nike, Pepsi, Cable and Wireless, I challenge you to predict their business from logo alone.

As to the shape you where considering, I would say this. As a base shape and form, it shows a certain promise, I would reccomend refining the shape more and in the first instances of any design, work only in black and white (think how it would look in its most basic incarnation, say as a letterhead). If it looks good in black and white, you can build upon this to add colours, depth, shading, all things that could be included where you have the chance to use rich media.

Heres a site that I have used before to catch the latest trends and nuances in the logo world

Good Luck

(ps, if you decide not to go with it dont use bad clip art of a brush and a monitor no matter what they tell you )
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2002, 03:30 AM
As an adendum to previous comment, as a rule the simpler the shape, with as few or as clean as possible lines, the better. Your shape is a little complex, but could be modified if this doesnt run contrary to the point of it I have attached a quick example of what can be done, although it is very rough. Dont forget to use whitespace and tried and tested logo methods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logo-example.jpg (12.4 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon