RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

How old/young are you?

View Poll Results: How old/young are you?
Teen or younger 4 1.83%
20-30 49 22.37%
30-40 51 23.29%
40-50 48 21.92%
50-60 42 19.18%
60+ 25 11.42%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2002, 07:53 AM

End of October I'll be 30... (hex )

Going to watch the movie of Woodstock 3x to concentrate on each of the strips and then another 3x just for fun.

Miniskirts (the 1st time round)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 08:08 AM

'Saddle Oxfords' presumably some form of casting couch CJ ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 10:35 AM

Quote:
'Saddle Oxfords' presumably some form of casting couch? -- Chris
Shoes, Chris. Shoes for pre-pubescent girls. So, how far back do YOU remember -- you sounded like you knew an awful lot about Hadrian's Wall...perhaps Emperor Hadrian himself?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 10:40 AM

I have a couple of relatives - twin girls - that I played with as a child. They always wore Saddle Oxfords.

I was nearly 10 years old before I realized they weren't really called "Twin Shoes"
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 11:52 AM

old as dirt?

I remember when it was quite safe and normal to for kids to have the run of the neighborhood unattened and without fear. (well, except fear of our parent's occasional "discipline", which is now called "abuse".)

I remember when the Montreal Canadians hockey team was actually made up of Canadians, from Montreal.

I remember singing O Canabis, instead of O Canada during highschool morning anthem time .. and never getting caught.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 07:21 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I remember most of the things CJ talked about. I also remember the milkman, and when we got the bottles of milk, we shook it up to blend the cream in with the skim milk. Ah, the good old days. I also vaguely remember the end of World War 2.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2002, 04:14 PM

CJ and Big Al,

Your comments have brought back many memories of the past. I just shared my 67th birthday on Aug. 16 with my wife and our two closest friends. It was definitely a time of both looking forward and back.

Big Al, my wife and I were half way to Woodstock when we decided that the weather was terrible and the traffic reports were not much better. Our two kids, when they were teen-agers, almost gave us cult status since we even made the attempt to go.

CJ, I got a non-paying job as the iceman’s helper when I was five. It was great riding in his horse drawn wagon and I got to know all the merchants in the neighborhood-141st and Broadway in NYC. The best was getting free goods from the kosher deli.

Progress is great, but I miss the trolley cars and the old ball parks-Polo Grounds and Ebbetts Field. They were a joy to visit and NYC lost more than two teams when the Giants and Dodgers moved out west.

Not least of all, bring back the ten cent subway.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2002, 06:51 PM

I also remember delivery from the milkman. Great chocolate milk! We also had Omar the Baker. He would deliver fresh bread and sweet rolls to our house a couple times a week.

Loved watching the Bears play in Wrigley Field. Not on tv!!

My wife and I were having a discusion just the other day about cures for being ill. Anyone ever had a mustard plaster? Or Boric Acid for eye infections. It made your eyelids stick together. And that miracle cure for just about anything, Vicks!

For jobs I set pins in a bowling alley and cadyed(sp) on weekends to make money for what I wanted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2002, 08:00 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I think every kid set pins back then. I started setting duck pins in Vermont when I was a kid. When I was 13, I moved back to Indiana, where most people didn't even know what duck pins were. It was big time! The balls even had holes to put your fingers in. I also sold newspapers on the street corner in Vermont. If I saw a kid around 18 or so, I'd say "Hey mister! Want to buy a paper?" Worked almost every time.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2002, 07:51 AM

Just turned 30 last month and feel OLD now

Then, last night, I was watching one of the 'battlestar galactica' movies and remebered watching the series as a kid..made me feel even older... then when I saw the credits, I noticed the movie was from 1976..I would have been 4 then... So I must have seen re-runs of the original series as a kid...now THAT really made me feel old

Oh, since the choice for me would have been either 20-30 or 30-40 I decided to vote true to my 'mental' age and ticked the 20-30 box..after all, I'm not half-way into 30 yet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon