RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Good/Bad Places to Buy From

Old 08-29-2002, 03:28 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Good/Bad Places to Buy From

I was just wondering if it might be a good idea to have a thread where people could post about their satisfaction/dissatisfaction about online vendors. My most recent purchase was a Wacom tablet from ProVantage.com. It was the Graphire 2, and the price new was $76.69 plus shipping, which was $6.95 in my case. The price seemed good, and I received the item one day after ordering, and choosing ground shipping. No complaints.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 03:32 PM
Janitor

I won't buy any computers besides Gateway (they've astounded me too many times with the quality of their service and warranty). I buy most of my accessories from warehouse.com and can recommend them. I've bought from buy.com once, and it turned out fine, and was a great deal. And of course, amazon.com (but their inventory is spotty unless you want books or cds, but still worth a look as they sometimes have exclusive deals).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2002, 04:38 PM

Multiwave Direct and Computers4sure have been my favorites. Unfortunately Computers4sure has been bought out by Office Depot and their prices have increased dramatically. I’ve purchased video cards, printers, scanners, software, and numerous other items with no problems.

I did have a problem with a monitor and digital camera that were warranty issues and not a vendor problem. They were both taken care of by the manufacturer.

All of my computers have come from a local clone builder. Great customer service.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 11:41 AM

These people have always worked out well for me..
http://www.pcnation.com

This is a great place to get the lowest prices - it is very up-to-date. -
http://www.pricewatch.com/

As for a computer, I have to disagree about Gateway, but I think it is different from computer to computer. I worked for Gateway, and their policies for tech support were terrible. On the other hand, I own 4 Dell computers, and have had very few problems with them. I have heard good and bad about both from other people.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 01:43 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
My last computer was a Gateway. This time I bought a Dell. Whenever I had a question with the Gateway, I was able to call, and actually talk to a person who would help me. With Dell, I'm having to wade through piles of text to try to find the solution myself. No problem with either computer, other than simple stuff, but I prefer Gateway's tech support. Now to keep the post on the subject, I have also bought from Buy.com and Epson.com with good results.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 02:25 PM

You think Dell tech support is bad...try Sony! I own a Sony Vaio and have been very happy with the computer. Tech support is another story. Very long waits on the phone and then they are clueless when you do get someone on the phone. I had a problem with the fan when I first bought it and no one at Sony seemed to have a clue...I went and checked their website and sure enough, there was a mention of the exact problem and a fix was being made. It's not good when 3 people at tech support can't find any reference to your problem but you can find it in about 3 minutes of searching!

I will be buying my next computer from a custom builder...probably from alienware.com ...they specialize in high end gaming systems (and digital video). I'm not that big of a gamer (just the occasional strategy and rpg game) but I have found that some of these companies that make these systems go out of their way when it comes to quality control, high end parts and they emphasize things like proper cooling, power supply and upgradability....of course all this is astronomically expensive, so it might be a while before I get one!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 02:36 PM

This is way off the topic of places to buy computers and hardware but if you like cooking...americanspice.com is a wonderful place to buy spices. The service is wonderful, prices are low and the products are of very high quality!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 05:07 PM

Greg,

Try this place for a custom built computer. http://www.envisioncs.net/ Less expensive than Alienware...3 yr waranty...and excellent service. I ordered a machine for my brother from them.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Janitor

I just had to gush somewhere about my latest experience with Gateway. I'd just finished work on Friday and my computer died. Hard. It wouldn't boot, didn't beep on startup, and the little green light on the off/on button was now glowing orange.

I called Gateway and the tech walked me through several tests to determine what the problem was, and it turned out to be the power supply. This was late Friday and the replacement power supply arrived first thing Tuesday. It was a breeze to install, and was double the capacity of the old one! (Gateway often sends better replacement components than the components they're replacing. Over the years they've sent me a CD drive that was 4x the speed of my old one and a hd that was 20gig larger than the one it replaced). Oh yeah, my computer is just 4 months shy of being 3 years old, and this whole experience didn't cost me a dime, not even the phone call.

I'm sure there are many wonderful computer companies out there, making excellent products and with millions of happy customers. But, unless they make a radical break in policy, Gateway will get all my business (and all my referrals).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2003, 09:26 PM

I gotta agree with Doug on the Gateway thing. I have one. Their tech support is beyond amazing. This one I have is now almost 5 years old and I've only ever had 2 problems with it. I know I shoud get a new one, but this one is just sooooo good I hesitate to put it out to pasture.

The first problem was that my monitor died about a week before warranty expiration. I called Gateway, got a live human being and was told "no problem, we'll send you a new one." It was on my doorstep within a couple of days.

Next, I screwed up something and the computer wouldn't run. I had NT installed, which was not even the OS it came with. The tech support person was on the phone with me for HOURS helping me get set back up. They never charged me a dime, and my puter was about 3 years beyond it's warranty that time.

I love Gateway!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon