RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

What is Grand Unified Theory?

Old 09-09-2002, 04:23 PM

Quote:
everything is a bit too perfect; ...you always get the feeling you are being watched...

We hear you, and we are not amused...

"Organization for the promulgation of perfection in Los Alamos"

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 09-09-2002 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The entire universe is a zoomable fractal of endless color and form and meaning. -- P. Stewart
Such a wonderful sounding concept! You sound better than all the math instructors I ever had all rolled up into one...

but I'd need to be in your class for years to have any chance of understanding what you mean...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 04:29 PM

Greg--- where is the big debate? I am anxiously awaiting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 05:17 PM

CJ - LOL!...might not be far from the truth!

chiquitita - I don't know! Looks like the big debate is more- can you fully understand and explain the universe through mathematics and scientific inquiry, or are some things unexplainable and therefore we will never fully be able to develop a "theory of everything"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 05:31 PM

Nobody has a theory of everything. Nobody knows it all. That is why there are so many different religions. People filling in the holes of what they can't figure out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquitita
Nobody has a theory of everything. Nobody knows it all. That is why there are so many different religions. People filling in the holes of what they can't figure out.
That's the controversy. I would agree with you that some things will remain unknowable simply by their nature...but I could be wrong and certainly would not consider myself an expert.

I guess if a scientist can somehow develop a theory that explains every event and physical interaction in nature, it raises some intriguing questions...it would follow that you could predict the beginning and end of the universe and all events in between... if the theory holds up anyway. But if it's all explainable by scientific means, what need is there for a God to be running things? You could still say a God got the ball rolling and set things in motion, but no longer plays any part in the function or control of the universe. Interesting questions and I have no clue as to what any answers are....but it does serve as creative fuel for the fire!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2002, 12:43 AM

Hmmm,

Well, I guess I just don't believe that a scientist could come up with such theories that would explain everything. There would be a hole somewhere. Nobody has come close to doing this yet, so I would venture to say it will never be done. I don't say that for religious reasons, just because I know nobody is that perfect.

-----
Sort of along these lines.... I got this video in the mail tonight to my business address. It was just called "Jesus"... a regular video ... just like someone bought it and stuck it in my mailbox.. there was no mailing address or postage.. just a video in plastic shrink wrap. It says on the web site about the video:

"First of all, it was a GIFT. The video was given without any obligation and you are welcome to view it or pass it on to others. It was paid for by members of your community who want those in their area to have a historically accurate view of the life of Jesus. "

I was speaking with my mom when I got home and telling her about this and I told her that if I was Jesus, I would change my name, you know? Wouldn't it be so annoying to have all these people running around saying they know what you would say about something, yet their views are all conflicting, and all they do is fight about you? It is really funny if you think about it... the people... everyone running around thinking they know everything!
Poor Jesus... I would hate that.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2002, 01:39 AM

Isn't the answer 42?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2002, 01:47 AM
Janitor

In another forum I used to moderate I used to mess with the minds of some of the amateur cosmologists there with my assertion that "infinity" doesn't exist, it was simply made up by mathematicians because, if it didn't exist, their formulas wouldn't work.

On my really cranky days I'd go the next step and explain that, since there was no proof for infinity existing, it was accepted on faith, and therefore math was really a religion
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2002, 02:31 AM

Even Doug has "cranky days"...further proof that there are no real constants in the universe! You do know however, that cruelty to cosmologists (even amateur ones) is particularly bad for karma...you now have a good chance of spending your next life as a particle of interstellar dust...

Al - I felt like a real geek when I laughed out loud at your post! Been a while since I read that book.

chiquitita - My hypothesis is that scientists come up with these theories as a means of getting our hopes up...and then never deliver the goods. If they could explain everything then they would all be out of a job!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon