RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Turn out your Pockets

Old 11-21-2002, 10:51 PM

This place is pure gold ... I think my gold card is the proper card to use. My hat is off to Doug and all of the moderators that assist. Thank You.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 07:10 PM

Just wanted to bring this thread up to the top again -- in case anyone forgot to send in their donation to keep this site up and running.

Thanksgiving is a great time to remember just how thankful we are to have RetouchPro as a place to learn, practice skills, share stories, tips, and new artwork, and chat with folks who understand and share our passion.

Just click on "Support" on the menubar (navigation bar).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2002, 11:00 AM

A bit late, but I hope I'm still within Jak's week

BTW, Jak & Greg C have been very quiet in the last while
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2002, 12:48 PM

Not sure about anyone else here, but at this time of the year, Jak is one extremely busy girl.

You probably won't be seeing much of me at all until January sometime. I've been checking my forum for necessary maintenance a couple of times a week, and even had time the other day to play in the Help Requested forum, but having that much time available in one lump chunk was just a really nice fluke...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 05:41 PM

For those of you keeping track, this donation drive has brought in about $200 so far. Thanks to all of you who helped out by donating!

Here's what Doug has had to say about the cost of running RetouchPro. As you can see, there needs to be a lot more support offered...

Quote:
Our current server costs approx. $350/year. Each 10meg of hd space over our alotted 550meg will cost $10/month (yes, that's per month). There are cheaper services out there, but as I said in an earlier post, none more reliable, and that's the most important thing.

I'd like to move us onto our own dedicated server, but to do that properly would be $2000/year or more. That would give us 100% of the hd to do with as we please. As it stands, we share a server with a few hundred other sites.

There are also recurring licensing fees for the various programs that make up the different sections of the site. New software to add features is done basically on a spare funds basis (if there are spare funds, we add features).

And if everyone donated $1/year we'd be more than halfway to our dedicated server. However, most of our funds come from repeat donations from the same dozen or so kind users.

We make zero money from the t-shirts, etc., but no one buys them anyway. We've sold a grand total of 8 shirts, 1 coffeemug, and zero mousepads.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 05:44 PM

Thank you, Chuck.

Donations are always gladly accepted at any time of the year/month/day/night...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 08:55 PM

1190 people have subscribed as members here, but only about half have EVER posted on the site. Of those, half have only posted once or twice. Many people come and go: groups of students assigned to do one or two Challenges, people with a particular problem image or computer question that they need one-time help with, the occasional huckster who drops in just to try to sell their product, etc. Other folks visit seriously, and find that we're not the right place for them -- not artistic enough, not chatty enough, etc.

There are fewer than 50 members who have posted regularly within the last month or so (if my calculations are reasonably accurate). It's those 50 of us that are likely to help keep the site running. Not every person would be willing, and not every willing person would be financially able to contribute regularly. Some people contribute their fair share and more by the information and assistance that they post for the rest of us.

So that brings us to YOU and ME. I'll help. Will You?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 09:07 PM

Well said CJ.

I was a bit late, but my money is on the way,

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon