Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Old 09-11-2002, 07:44 PM
I love good coffee, but couldn't imagine myself taking the time to actually roast the beans. Sounds interesting, though, and I'll bet the aroma is to die for.

Here where I am now, good coffee is hard to come by. I think that's what I miss most about living in the Pacific Northwest - great coffee on almost every street corner!

And Chris - one of my favorite places when I lived in Portland was called the British Tea Garden. Came complete with an entire staff that sported lovely British accents so I would guess it's authentic. I also love good tea...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Originally posted by G. Couch
Ed - You have not had iced tea until you have been in the south! "Sweet tea" as we like to call it...hope your not diabetic though, as the sugar level is about 500% of the daily recommended value! ( I hate the stuff )
Oh, I've been in the south quite a few times. I like my tea sweetened, but not like that.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 08:07 PM

I went to lunch with my mom today. I ordered "Sweet Tea"

Still just a good ol' southern girl, I guess...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 08:55 PM
I like gourmet coffee, but I must admit that I am a tea drinker (hot & cold). Coffee in the morning, a nice cup of tea in the afternoon, and in the winter hot coco before bed. Now that’s a caffeinated day! However, nothing beats a great tea room. One of my favorites is in Canada by Niagara Falls. There is a little town there called Niagara on the Lake and it's a simply beautiful town bursting with landscaping. Beautiful parks, gardens and hanging baskets overflowing with flowers. I had a lovely afternoon tea at the Prince of Wales Inn...full silver tea service...three tiers of sandwiches and little cakes and a whole menu of teas to choose from. Yummy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Oh, I am gonna have to look for that place, T. I'm planning on taking my first trip ever to Niagra Falls soon... Now I have even more to look forward to!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Can't imagine how I missed this thread, not enought coffee?

We roast our own coffee. It is truely better than anything you can buy, if only because you get just the roast you want.

Unlike you I didn't get any fancy equipment, just use the oven. I can roast enough on a cookie sheet for about a week and a half. It is quite smoky. I understand the roasters produce less smoke.

It is actually a lot cheaper too. I work near Emeryville which is where most of the South American beans come in to the West Coast. I found a wholesale distrubutor who would sell bags to anyone. You just had to buy the whole bag. If that doesn't sound bad keep in mind that a bag of coffee is 120-150 lbs. Still I paid about 1/8 of the store price for the Columbian Supremo.

Roasting in the oven is pretty easy, spread them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put it in a hot (475) oven. After a while they start to pop, like popcorn, but they don't expand as much. There is a second pop that sounds a little different from the first, and that means they are almost ready. At that point I go by color and oil on the surface of the bean.

In the oven you don't get a perfectly evenly roasted batch. Around the outside of the pan the beans are (for my favorite roast) dark and oily, while the middle is chocolate brown, with no surface oil. I think having the variation adds to the complexity of the taste, which I enjoy.

The smell is actually terrible while they are roasting. You know that burnt bitter flavor in a really dark French or Viennese roast coffee? That is the smell of roasting coffee. The beans don't take on that wonderful smell we all associate with coffee until they have absorbed some CO2 from the air, which takes several hours. In fact if you brew coffee right after roasting it tastes awful.

Ken, is this any different with the dedicated roasters like you use. I was thinking if there is more air flow in those, it might not take as long for the beans to mellow?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 07:02 AM
I think I'm going to order one of these....

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 08:56 AM
From the descriptions here, I'm thinking that perhaps the coffee you get from home-roasting is similar to the coffee I had in Spain. I'll never forget how strong the coffee was, but there was absolutely no bitterness! I tried and tried to recreate it at home, but had no luck.

Unfortunately, now, I can't drink coffee at all. So, my beverage of choice these days is green tea.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Tim_S , the machine I bought is a Caffe Rosto, one of the reasons dedicated roasting machines are better is because after the roasting cycle is done, 7 to 13 minutes, depending on the bean and your personal tastes, the machine goes into a cooling cycle for about 4 or 5 minutes. Still, you wait at least 24 hours before brewing for the best taste to develop.
It is much cheaper in the long run to roast your own, here, the better unground and pre roasted beans are around $10.00 per pound. The ones I buy online run right around $5.00 a pound. As with most everything though, you can pay about as much as you want to. One variety called Kopi Luwak, is selling for $300.00 per pound and probably youo couldn't find any to buy if you wanted to.
Glad to meet a fellow home roaster.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 05:25 PM
I've got it easy...

My neighbor (two houses down) works at the Starbucks corporate HQ in downtown Seattle. In exchange for pics of her kids, I get some pretty good stuff (coffee, that is ).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon