RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New guy blues

Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 PM

Location: I was bred and raised in a bitch clutch in earth district. Like you of course.
Question New guy blues

Hi, I am a trainer for a telecommunications company and being natural well-spoken got me a long ways in my field. Now I have run into a barrier that can only be circumnavigated by technical proficiency. I just want to learn to retouch photos and absorb the basics of this art form but this site is hard to navigate. In my newbie status I can't do a lot of things and a lot of the postings are written for professionals who are honing their craft. Would someone be willing to work with me and tell me about good applications, basic terminology and online recourses?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2015, 02:53 PM

Re: New guy blues

Basic resource: videos on this site, also tutorials on this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 01:26 AM

Location: I was bred and raised in a bitch clutch in earth district. Like you of course.

So I visited the tutorials and found a bunch of broken links and redirects to other sites that don't exist anymore. I found the library and went to the basic materials but without an index which defines each of the industry specific terms I am not sure what I am looking at. My problem is I look at these pictures and I know they don't look good but I don't know how to describe what I am looking at to find the proper tutorial. There are a lot of helpful tutorials on youtube but I really wanted to come to a professional webpage to read interactions to and from newbies and experts. What I found was that the experts ignore the newbies and the experts conversations with one another are like latin. Without knowing any industry specific jargon how does one gain enough knowledge to ask intelligent questions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 01:33 AM

So if a picture was taken at night and the flash wasn't sufficient would I be retouching? Would I be creating a layer mask over the darkened faces? I read something about adding a secondary source of light. Are you revealing what is there or adding color that is an approximation to the color you think should be there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 AM

Re: Nude guy blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Basic resource: videos on this site, also tutorials on this site.
The Video tutorial was very helpful. The tutorials were A. Broken. B. Redirected to an offsite webpage that no longer exists (or) C. Contains a great deal of internal photo restoration jargon which makes it useless to a beginner. I would like to see the basic tutorials fixed and maybe an index which explains better what these terms mean. Are these basic tutorials merely basic relative to professional I.T./Photographers?

Thank you Skoobey, for responding. I know it took a great deal of courage to approach me and I appreciate the gesture. Someday when I am photoshop king of retouch pro I will remember this act and reciprocate in like kind.

P.S. This is the Photo I would like to use as my tutorial piece. Call it a challenge if that makes you technical wizards want to extend and olive branch. These are two of my family members and I would like to make out more of the details. I don't know enough jargon to intelligently ask so if you make a change tell me how I would research that process, please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 01:56 AM

Re: Nude gay plums

ten characters
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 02:00 AM

Re: New marbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirqueRivehn View Post
So if a picture was taken at night and the flash wasn't sufficient would I be retouching? Would I be creating a layer mask over the darkened faces? I read something about adding a secondary source of light. Are you revealing what is there or adding color that is an approximation to the color you think should be there?
How do you deal with this guy? He is such an obnoxious pushy person. I would just teach him the basics so he will leave us alone, right guys??
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 02:08 AM

The photo I would like to use for my tutorial piece is located in another thread titled "inherited some family photos" it displays two of my family members one riding piggyback on the other's back. Please A. tell me what in professional lingo is wrong with this picture B. Fix it and tell me what you did C. react in an unimaginable way in retaliation to my erratic questioning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 02:31 AM

I get it now! I visited the challenge area! There is so much fun being had. I think the problem I had was that I wanted to talk to the intellects behind the art and they are rude and petty because artistic people have awful personalities! But the work here is staggering. I haven't learned anything yet (don't worry skoobey, not because of your help. You were great.) BUTTT I am filled with artistic zeal and maybe I am enough of a wet blanket to be an artistic intellect too? -poot
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Buy a used copy of this older photoshop book:
Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers
( supercheap on amazon ).
will get you very far.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon