RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

giza pyramid intrigue

Old 09-29-2002, 03:06 PM

Margaret
I bought a DVD player -brand name Apex at Walmart's about a month ago for about $60.I got the recommendation somewhere on the web and since Walmart has a 30 day return policy I figured I'd take a chance. Anyway, it seems to play everything that I've thrown in so far. What I want to do is start putting some slide shows with sound on CD(old family and friends pictures) to send to my kids and friends.Have been trying out a few packages on demo but still haven't found one yet that has everything I want. What I want is a dissolve effect and some control over the sound. Sorta like Ken Burns does with his Civil War programs. But maybe he's doing that with a video though and that's something I don't want to get into again right now. If anyone reading this post has a suggestion please let me know.
Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2002, 03:19 PM

I haven't burned any CD's except the straightforward drag the folder over there.

I did buy Roxio Toast when I got these new computers with the burners on them, but it only runs under OSX (on a Mac - there are Window's versions too) and I haven't upgraded to OSX yet, so I haven't tried it out.

People I talked to before I bought it said it was the best.

For the fading effects etc., have you tried plain old Microsoft Powerpoint?? You can include a "free" Powerpoint viewer on the CD just in case those viewing it don't have Powerpoint installed.

Also, Shockwave.com has PhotoJam that makes slide shows. The newest version has music editing and more transitions:

http://www.shockwave.com/sw/content/photojam

Now you've reminded me of one more thing I was going to get busy and do - organize my photos into slide shows - thanks

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 03:07 PM

While we wait for news on the pyramids , may I take the liberty of going offtopic on this thread?

Margaret
I took a look at some of the examples on that link and they appear to be doing what I want to accomplish. One thing that I'll have to find out is if the shows can be burned on a CD. I would assume so but in reading some of the users comments, I'm not certain. Anyway, I'll download the trial and see what happens.Something that I was thinking of doing is making up "pages" in PS like those you see in the scrapbooks which seem to be so popular now. I picked up a magazine called "Memory Makers" and got some good ideas about layout.
Perhaps what I should do first is 1.Decide on the name of the CD eg "My Early Years" 2. Round up the pictures I need and get them on a CD 3.Locate some favorite songs and do likewise . Of course what will happen is that I'll start restoring or embellishing every photo and get totally bogged down.
Paulette

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 03:23 PM

Good luck on your project. I'm afraid that I'm too easily distracted to make a good job of such a thing.

I will start looking at pictures and come across one that reminds me of something else and I'll be off following up that idea which inevitably reminds me of something else etc. until I'm way off track.

I would think that you should be able to put the PhotoJam albums on CD as long as you include the PhotoJam application with it.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 03:36 PM

Paulette, I just downloaded PhotoJam and started it up. I'm attaching a shot of the splash screen that says in order to publish your albums on CD, you need to buy a key. Sorry about that.

Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photojam.jpg (39.8 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I will start looking at pictures and come across one that reminds me of something else and I'll be off following up that idea which inevitably reminds me of something else etc. until I'm way off track. -- Margaret
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who does that (I do it with lots of things, especially while on the net -- use Google to find one thing, find another that looks interesting, and awaaaay I go!) -- see you when we cross paths -- "way off track".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon