RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

giza pyramid intrigue

Old 09-17-2002, 05:45 PM

I only watched part of the last half also. I am fascinated by Egypt's ancient culture, but not by primetime TV's efforts to garner audiences. I just didn't really think they'd wait to find out what was there until we all were sitting in front of the TV with our popcorn in hand. The "next door" is both exasperating and intriguing to me -- I hope they don't wait for another "Special" to find out what's behind it, but do as Paulette suggests -- go to Home Depot and get a longer bit and drill through that sucker now! Then let us know what they found.

Margaret -- I didn't see the part that explained that it wasn't slaves -- can you tell me more, or I'll look it up somewhere on the net.

Tobycatt -- who do you think made the pyramids, or how were they built?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 06:00 PM

Hi CJ, throughout the show, they were showing an excavation at a townsite that was close to the pyramid and they were expostulating (there's a $50 word ) that the townsite was there to support the building of the pyramid. They uncovered enough cattle bones to feed enough people to build the thing for many years. They also uncovered a huge bakery etc.

The Egyptian archeologist that opened the sarcophagus on the show said that all the information about the townsite and the way some of the workers were buried led him to believe that it was built by paid labor.

He also said something like "the pyramids couldn't have been built by slaves, they had to be built by love" He also talked about the "teams" of workers (he didn't call them teams - he used a different word, but I forget what he said)

Also there was an Egyptian woman archeologist who was showing some recovered bones - in one case the bones had been surgically amputated. They surmised that a slave would not have been treated to such good care.

Anyway, it's all speculation, but I love hearing about it. In my next life, I'm coming back as an archeologist. I can see myself sitting there with a soft brush uncovering pot shards.

When I see things like that show last night - or some of the Discovery Channel shows about ancient civilizations, my imagination goes wild!

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the added information, Margaret. I minored in Anthropology, and had one friend who married an archeologist. She's currently working at a museum in the States. I just found her again via Classmates.com (We hadn't talked in years) and I don't know whether she ever got to work on sites or not. I used to fantasize about finding a rare find while brushing away the silt. Then I remembered that I don't even like to dust my furniture, and realized that it wasn't really my calling...

My awe of the pyramids was reduced by the previous theory that slaves were used, so I'm happy to hear that paid workers created such awesome structures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 09:39 PM

I thought it was very interesting. Too many commercials (expected from Fox) but still informative. I didn't realize the Egyptians were such big beer drinkers. I can relate to that!

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 10:41 PM

Another mummy mystery

Tonight on Discovery Channel, I watched a show about a "mummy" that was discovered in Pakistan. The mummy came to light when someone tried to sell it and someone else squealed on them.

The mummy was taken to a museum where it was examined etc. It was in an elaborately carved wooden box, wrapped in gold, the whole nine yards. It was thought that the mummy was a Persian princess - how the mummy came to be in Pakistan was a mystery.

After much research, it was learned that the "mummy" was an elaborate fake and the body incased in all that gold was a woman who appears to have been murdered (her back was broken) in 1994!!

They didn't go into the following investigation to find out who she was or how she met her death. And, since that one came to light, there have been others offered for sale as well.

Makes you wonder what other fakes are out there,

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 11:50 PM

Pyramids

Hi CJ~

I think the Egyptians built them, but I think there is technology that they had that has been lost. Like from a really advanced civilization that had language and medicine and the ability to somehow lift these stones.

Mostly the people I read are Graham Hancock, John Anthony West and Robert Schoch. One of the guys on the show last night, his last name is Lerner, is paid by the Edgar Cayce society. Edgar Cayce predicted that there is a room beneath the floor of the paws of the Sphinx. Supposedly it has been found using sonar. Cayce said that the room houses data that will change history. The Cayce foundation wants first dibs on it, and they are in tight with Hawass the guy who runs the Giza plateau. Those authors that I mentioned were trying to get the Egyptian government to find out what is there but make it public domain. Last I heard, because the funding was coming from the Cayce society, they were going to get at it first along with the Egyptian government and they would be the ones to decide if the info would be made public or not. I don't know if this info is on the web, but I heard Graham Hancock speak and the whole second half of his lecture was on this topic and the politics going on there.

I could go on for days, but I won't. You can email me tho if you want. I would love to talk your ear off.

Hugs,
Claudia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 03:15 PM

Re drilling into the second door--I heard some BBC reporter say that her sources told her that it would be a year before they had enough data ( whatever that means) to drill into the second door.I was looking at a schematic of a cross section of the interior in the papers yesterday and it appears from the drawing that the space between the two doors is very close to the exterior of the pyramid. They probably don't want to drill a hole through one of the exterior blocks but maybe they will use some sounding equiptment although I really don't know if that's a viable option. Anyway I guess that what I was hoping for was the discovery of some technology from that time that we were unaware of. There are so many place of mystery on this earth. It is nice to dream
Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 03:30 PM

Tobbycatt
Just saw your reply after I posted mine. I was unaware that there was a connection between the Cayce society and the Giza plateau project! Do you have a link to that information. I too have
the books by the authors you mentioned as well as whatever other books on Eqypt that I was able to get my hands on.The country has fasinated me from an early age.It's too bad that there are so many turf wars going on re the explorations but that is always the way.In some ways I find this reminescent of all of the expectation concerning the Letter of Fatima.Big build up-unsatisfactory( in my opinion) explanation.
Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 03:52 PM

I'd be interested to know what alternative technologies are mooted as regards the construction of the pyramids.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 04:01 PM

Pyramid

Hi Paulette!!

This info may be on Graham Hancocks web site, I am not sure tho...it came from a lecture he gave in Berkeley that I attended. From what I understand there is a person who is a multi gazillionaire who is funding Lerner and the Cayce people to make sure the info comes to them and not the general public. I really don't want to think that anyone, especially someone affiliated with Edgar Cayce, would do such a thing, but nothing surprises me anymore.

From a world view, I can understand the fear and the Egyptian government wanting to protect their history and their antiquity. Everyone on the planet wants to have a piece of them. But if there is education to be had, we all deserve to know about it. The Dead Sea Scrolls are highly controversial, but they have not destroyed the Catholic church, know what I mean?

Last I heard Graham Hancock was backing off the work he has been doing. I am not totally sure why, but John Anthony West is really the primary source for what is what. I liked Graham for his readability and accessibility though.

YES FATIMA...just what was in that letter to the Pope???

I will get off my soap box now but I love this stuff. Not the controversy...just the amazing stuff that happens and we don't get to know about it. It's not fair. Oh gosh now I am whining too.

Hugs!
Claudia
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon